Going from rock to country!?

dragon9666

• Members

So I have a try-out for my first country band on Sunday. I've always been a rock type of guy, but this band is solid and well known. I wanna play out so bad. Its a modern country/rock cover band.

I learned six songs in two hrs for the try-out, so this is not gonna be hard at all, and I don't mind the songs. Kinda like YFC that T-Brooms in.

So my question is, is this gonna rot my brain and my chops?:lol: Has anyone else had froth from the mouth because its SO boring?

If so , ya got any tips?

I'm sure I'll be busy singing back-up vox or :eek: leadvox:eek: on a track.

....But still.............

Any input on this matter??

• Members

If you're playing it right with a great drummer, country is never boring, especially if it's newer-school stuff. Some of those guys in Nashville are among the best bassists in the world.

Your chops or creativity won't suffer. Playing only the right note at the right time and saying the most with that note is demanding and ultimately requires more creativity. As they say, anybody can make something complicated and inappropriate, but saying something meaningful with one or two notes is creativity.

When it comes to Country, if you think you're playing too much, you already are.

• Members

After a couple of decades of playing rock and a decade of playing country, I can honestly say that your timing will most likely IMPROVE with country. You must be locked in with the drummer. No exceptions. You can't just play quarter- or eighth-root notes over and over and over and over and over and over.....like in rock music. You timing will get better (and it may be just fine right now...I don't know).

For the beginning (and it will change later), you should play a note every time he kicks the kickdrum, but not the same note over and over. Nevermind the singer or what he is punching, you stay with the kickdrum. And, no, your chops will not suffer.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

• Members

You'll be hooked on the crowd of dancing drunk big-boobed women by the end of the first set. Country bands draw huge crowds of ladies. I'm sure your chops and creativity will be just fine in light of this fact.

C7

Damn, I better learn some country then!:D

Does Allmans, 38 Special, SRV, Skynyrd, Doobies, CSN without Y, etc pass as country???

• Members

Seriously?

Allman Bros - yes

SRV - yes

Skynyrd - you've got to be kidding. Their last song was a huge country hit. (the little brother)

Doobies - yes

CSN/Y - yes

Young w/o CSN - yes

While not technically country, they go over very well with a country crowd. While your average country crowd is older, they all grew up listening to r&r in the 70's and 80's.

• Members

I can't answer your chops question because I don't have "chops". I'm always humbled every time I get together with the Chicago Posse.

Regardless, I love playing with my band. I lock in with the drummer and don't worry about the rest. Some songs are root/five but other times...

• Moderators
I can't answer your chops question because I don't have "chops". I'm always humbled every time I get together with the Chicago Posse.

Regardless, I love playing with my band. I lock in with the drummer and don't worry about the rest. Some songs are root/five but other times...

You have excellent chops, because the chops you have fit very well with the band you're in and keep the butts out on the dance floor all night long. Chops are one thing. Results are another.

• Members

Good luck! Learning country added a new dimension to my jazz and rock background. Honestly, it took me a couple of years of playing 10-15 country gigs a month to get really comfortable with some of the feels... it's really that different.

The country crowds were really supportive, and they also accepted a lot of oldies and rock as well as long as they weren't hardcore line-dancers. I enjoyed my years of playing it and would join another good country band in a heartbeat.:thu:

Archived