Totally new to pickups, need some advice

azithinkibe

• Members

I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in an Ibanez srx 390, but I have NO clue about pickups or electronics, and trying to investigate it myself has just hit me with a dauntingly large range of options.

I'm looking for something to help my mids and highs cut through the mix when playing with a full band. Right now, there's plenty of low, but it fizzles out on the D and G strings.

I also prefer a gritty, chunky tone (across all levels) as opposed to either a rounded, mellow bassy sound or a super bright, tinny banjo sound. Therefore, if I EQ to get chunky, gritty tones for the lower strings, I get a way too bright sound out of my higher strings, which makes it fade away when playing with a band. But if I EQ for thicker, more present sounding high strings, I get that rounded mellow bassy sound on the lower strings - make sense?

Any suggestions? Either for pickups or to links that will make it easier to try and figure this all out on my own?

• Members

Are you sure you've exhausted all your options, as in playing closer to the neck or bridge, using a pick, palm-muting, e.q. settings, etc? There's a ton can be done before you start yarding out parts. . .changing strings, string gauge change, even. Amp settings, too.

• Members

If it was a matter of just fixing the height, I would assume their wouldn't be near as much talk about using compressors to fix it, etc.

Firstly, a lot of peeps like to make things more complicated just for the sake of it. Secondly, some other peeps just think that having racks of equipment makes them sound good. Thirdly, sound engineers will often have a tendency to recommend pieces of equipment to peeps that, A.) they don't really need... and B.) they may not know how to dial in correctly. A compressor often fits both of those categories.

So... pickup height would be one thing to work with. You also might want to consider a different set of strings. Strings play a big part in tone. Definitely some EQ'ing as well. It sounds like a parametric EQ might do you some good. But, I'm not so sure it's necessary after playing around with setup and new strings.

Honestly, I think with the right set of strings and a small screwdriver (for PUP height), you could probably get what you're after with even the minimal amount of EQ knobs on your rig. Just try cutting the bass frequencies, and play with the mids and treble. I only use the bass knob to dial in the room acoustics. After that, altering the tone of the instrument is done through the upper frequencies.

YMMV

• Moderators

Definitely some EQ'ing as well. It sounds like a parametric EQ might do you some good. But, I'm not so sure it's necessary after playing around with setup and new strings.

If new = fresh, then yes. If new means a different brand, I'd go, setup (pickup height), EQ, strings in that order.

• Members

Well I've obviously EQ'd to try and get the sound I want, and it's just not doable with my bass (at least it's current setup) and amp. As for strings, it's true that I have been using the same brand and gauge for a good while - maybe a heavier gauge with some extra mid and high dialed in will get me what I'm looking for across the board?

And with regards to pickup height (which I'll also try), are you suggesting moving them closer to the strings, further away, or just messing with it until I find what works?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

• Members

When it comes to tweaking the guitars or bass's voice via adjusting the pups, most peeps are completely ignorant about the role the pole peice adjustments and overall pup height can have. Poles above top of pup top ussually increases treble bite, lower then pup top ussually decreases treble and can cause muddyness. Pups overall further from strings can add clairty but also cuts down output level. Raises pups often causes both hotter signal and some crunch.

Ideal imo is to set up each pup for best to you sound when soloed. Then tweak one ot the other to give best to you sound when running both pups full on for cruising voice. From this position one can then roll off the neck or bridge pup a little for basic sound variation as in lead voice to cruising to more backing voice. Then of course soloed pups for the other 2 of the 5 basic voice options you then have with two pup bass or guitar with seperate volumes for each of the two pups.

Ibanez pups except those with barts have never impressed me though. If played an Ibanez again Id replace the pups and then tweak the replacement ones.

Ibanez pups have never impressed me, except those with Bart's, To me their neck pups are just muddy and pup adjustments havent satisfied me either for getting acceptable sound out of em. Theuir bridge pups are better but lack crunch to me. Too mellow a sound. So yes adjusting pups may or may not satisfy. Pups change may be needed and best route.

As to which of the two pups to adjust for best both pups on full for overall height, is most often best to go with the pup thats the highest (closest to strings if lowering it a little gives the best cruising voice for both pups. Due to little less treble bite). In this case then rolling off the neck pup a little gives that brighter lead top voice. If however you have a dark sounding bass and dont want cruising voice less bright when ready to tweak the pup height for both pups on full, then go with lowering the neck pup a tad if desired for better both pups on full.

If the E & A Or low B & E strings are overpowering output compared to the higher D & G or G & B(or C) then lower that side of both pups equally a little while keeping opposite side same height as was. This can help balance string to string balance without sacrificing the tonal benefits you created by adjusting the pole peices earlier. If however lowering the bass side of the pups makes too weak a sound and your needing better string to string balance then raise the treble side of both equally a tad.

Muddy sounding bass most often improves in sound by rasing the pole peices a little above the pup top. Pups with no adjustable pole peices as in emg style with just plastic top and no exposed pole peices generally mostly act like pups with slightly raised pole peices. Pups with exposed poles but no adjustment of them possible generally mostly act like pups with pole peices flush with top of pup. In other words neutral, not giving any extra crunch or top end bite.

Half turn to one full turn is ussually enough to create a little sound tweak for both the pole peices individually and overall pup height.

Raising pups so that strings bang a little against the pole peices or pup can be useful for some sounds but can also often decrease sustain char. Pups too high of course cause no sound or dead sound cause they in effect mute the strings so they dont move right. Pups too low is like useing poor qaulity mic for voice that gives weak sound and poor articulation.

With P stype pups you have an added ajustment ability as you can adjust the neck and bridge pups more indivisually for the E&A and D&G strings for pup heights and angle for both neck and bridge position for the two pairs of strings. (Or 3 & 2 if a fiver, or 3 & 3 if a sixer. Though hasnt seen a 6 string with P pups before, just 4 & 5 stringers)

Archived