leo quan you genius. Ass of bad content.

Daryl Chaney

• Members

Chikha !

Just got and installed my Badass II bridge for my F Jazz, jesus this thing has instantly improved the sound of my bass. Its quite scary in fact.

It actually does what it says on the box, improves sustain, clarity and attack. nearly wet myself when i plugged it in. :rawk:

My only dislike is that the saddles cant go as low as a "vintage" F bridge, thus i will have to adjust my trussrod, or make a pocket (so to speak) for the base of the bridge in contact with the bass body - which would be insane.

Does anyone know if you can make the grooves on the saddles so the strings would be stable, and slightly lower than normal ?

I was just gonna get a file to it and start going at it, but i thought i'd pass it by the infinite wisdom of the HCBF posse - im electronically staring at you Kindness

Cheeeers! :D

• Members

Chikha !

Just got and installed my Badass II bridge for my F Jazz, jesus this thing has instantly improved the sound of my bass. Its quite scary in fact.

It actually does what it says on the box, improves sustain, clarity and attack. nearly wet myself when i plugged it in.
:rawk:

My only dislike is that the saddles cant go as low as a "vintage" F bridge, thus i will have to adjust my trussrod, or make a pocket (so to speak) for the base of the bridge in contact with the bass body - which would be insane.

Does anyone know if you can make the grooves on the saddles so the strings would be stable, and slightly lower than normal ?

I was just gonna get a file to it and start going at it, but i thought i'd pass it by the infinite wisdom of the HCBF posse - im electronically staring at you Kindness

Cheeeers!
:D

I've cut grooves very deep into the saddles on a BAI and it works fine. Just remember, you can cut deeper but you have to buy new saddles to "undo" the cuts. :D

• Moderators

Lug does.

Take it slow with the file and just go deep enough to maintain the string in the slot. You don't need to groove saddles as deeply as you slot nuts!

• Members

Actually, a very deep "V" cut into the saddle give a deeper fundimental, higher highs and more mids along with extra clarity and more "thump". I catagorically stand by this and am completely unwiilling to do any type of double blind sound test. If you can't hear the difference, you are blind.

• Members

Actually, a very deep "V" cut into the saddle give a deeper fundimental, higher highs and more mids along with extra clarity and more "thump". I catagorically stand by this and am completely unwiilling to do any type of double blind sound test. If you can't hear the difference, you are blind.

I knew this was coming. Personally I changed the bridge of my Fender for a Gotoh 201 and couldn't tell the difference but it's definitely a better bridge. I didn't want tp file my own {censored} which is why I didn't go with the BAII. For a bridge that costs that much it should be good to go dontcha think?

Dan

• Members

I knew this was coming. Personally I changed the bridge of my Fender for a Gotoh 201 and couldn't tell the difference but it's definitely a better bridge. I didn't want tp file my own {censored} which is why I didn't go with the BAII. For a bridge that costs that much it should be good to go dontcha think?

Dan

The gotoh isn't even sealed oxygen free OR reverse wrapped with hydronigated exterier armor plating. What a POS. :rolleyes:

• Members

Dan

I like that they sell it without grooves. A lot of cats like to tweak their string spacing.

But at the same time, they should also sell one that is already grooved.

I would buy a BA if I didn't have to groove it myself. And I don't want to pay someone another $10-$20 to groove one for me.

They make nice bridges, but after that much hassle, I'll just buy from one of their competitors.

• Members

Dan

IMO they normally are. However, if you want to lower the strings more but don't want to fool around with shims deepening the grooves is the way to go.

I have three BA bridges and one I had no grooves and put non in them. The bass was fine and played fine.

On another I filed them down slightly and it too is good and has great action.

I really like the BA and I'll buy more in the future.

• Members

IMO they normally are. However, if you want to lower the strings more but don't want to fool around with shims deepening the grooves is the way to go.

I have three BA bridges and one I had no grooves and put non in them. The bass was fine and played fine.

On another I filed them down slightly and it too is good and has great action.

I really like the BA and I'll buy more in the future.

0dlxcop4ts.JPG

I like BA's and I can not lie

You other bassists can't deny

That when a bass walks wit' adjustable finger space an'

A round tone in yo' face. You get SPRUNG!

• Members

I like that they sell it without grooves. A lot of cats like to tweak their string spacing.

But at the same time, they should also sell one that is already grooved.

I would buy a BA if I didn't have to groove it myself. And I don't want to pay someone another $10-$20 to groove one for me.

They make nice bridges, but after that much hassle, I'll just buy from one of their competitors.

+1

• Members

I just filed the grooves for me strings, perfect placement over each of the pickups and just enough of a groove to keep the strings in to the limits of my bashing.

I may file them down more though, as my action is still a bit higher than i like.

But i dont think i can avoid shimming (if it is what i think it is ... is it is if fe fi fo fum)

Did the V groove as you suggested lug, worked a charm. Cheers!

Dan

!! - I got the badass brand new off ebay (shop) for

• Moderators

When you say shim the neck, your talking about putting a very thin piece of something in between the neck and the body joint yes ?

Yes. If you cut a thin strip (1/8th inch or so) off the edge of a business card and place it at the body end of the neck pocket and bolt the neck back on, you will have altered the angle of the neck and you will be able to get lower action than you can now without the bridge saddles bottoming out. If that is not enough of an angle to fix it, you can fold over the edge of a business card so it is twice the thickness and try that height. It is a pretty easy process and it is easy to gauge by eye once you have experience, but plan on taking a lot of time to figure it out if you are doing it the first time. I'm out of here until tomorrow. If you need my help, let me know, but don't expect a quick response.

• Members

i actually have an old squier p-bass that i took apart a few years back and it had a shim in it, i thought it was something put there by accident and bolted the neck back without it. then i had horrible action and eventually figured it out.

So i'll shim me jazz tomorrow, i wont have any problems doing that.

cheers again Kindness.

I hope HCBF is paying you a fee. :idea:

• Members

Ahoy !

Just ordered my brand spanking new set of Lindy Fralins for my Jazz. Delicous.

and i have some vintage cloth wire, copper shielding and an Angela 0.47 paper oil cap waiting for the lindys arrival. :thu:

I managed to shim the neck anyways (v. thin piece of v. light card about the size of a dollar coin / 2 euro about a 1/2 inch from the body.)

but now the saddles are too high, due to some buzzing on the 14th > frets. I adjusted the truss rod but it doesnt seem to be straightening up the neck, theres a slight bow at the very top (near the nut). The truss rod may be fecked.

so my action is roughly the same as it was before. :confused: its not awful, its well playable, but it could be better.

Im just gonna try a smaller shim and see what happens.

You guys got any ideas ?

cheers

Cant wait for those Lindys now, this ahem (MIM) Jazz is gonna kick my MIA P-bass into next week.

Archived