Any of you baseball fans scared of The Rockies?!

zachoff

• Members
Yup, count me in as a hometown bandwagon fan. Not really a baseball fan at all, but I'm stoked on them sweeping the Phillies. Diamondback are next, yo!!!

baseball has been over for me since the Mets do their normal thing and crap out with less than a month to play.

on the up side the Indians are beating the Yanks :D

Go Red sox!

• Members
Wow, no mention of the D'backs, as if the Rockies have already made it to the Series.
:D

Rockies are hot, but the D'backs are the better team, imo.

Why do you think they are a better team? The Rockies beat them head to head this year (10-8), had the same # of wins this year and beat the Dbacks 2 out of 3 to finish the season. They also were 7 games better than the Dbacks in their own division this year.

The rockies had a way better offense this year, scoring 887 (5th best in the majors) runs to AZ's 712 (5th worst). they batted 30 points higher (.280 ...5th best in the league to .250.....2nd worst) They tied in team HR's at 171, AZ led in stolen bases 109 to 100, Team ERA fairly cmoparable with the edge going to AZ 4.13 to 4.32, but here's the biggie to me. Colorado posted a TEAM .989 fielding percentage. Not only the best in the majors, but the best in the history of Major League Baseball. That's huge.

Their playoff #s are almost mirror images in hitting and pitching.

I would say they are very very evenly matched. And the Rockies have a LOT of momentum right now. In fact the ONLY guy to beat them in their last 18 games is Webb. He's a hell of a pitcher. But he can't pitch every game. Maybe 2. Hopefully the 4 day layoff doesn't change that (their momentum). Should be one hell of a series. but with the Rockies better hitting and fileding, I think they will win in 4 - maybe 5.

And I forgot to add that the Rockies OBP was .354 (3rd best in baseball) compared to Arizona at .321 (2nd worst)

• Members
Why do you think they are a better team? The Rockies beat them head to head this year (10-8), had the same # of wins this year and beat the Dbacks 2 out of 3 to finish the season. They also were 7 games better than the Dbacks in their own division this year.

The rockies had a way better offense this year, scoring 887 (5th best in the majors) runs to AZ's 712 (5th worst). they batted 30 points higher (.280 ...5th best in the league to .250.....2nd worst) They tied in team HR's at 171, AZ led in stolen bases 109 to 100, Team ERA fairly cmoparable with the edge going to AZ 4.13 to 4.32, but here's the biggie to me. Colorado posted a TEAM .989 fielding percentage. Not only the best in the majors, but the best in the history of Major League Baseball. That's huge.

Their playoff #s are almost mirror images in hitting and pitching.

I would say they are very very evenly matched. And the Rockies have a LOT of momentum right now. In fact the ONLY guy to beat them in their last 18 games is Webb. He's a hell of a pitcher. But he can't pitch every game. Maybe 2. Hopefully the 4 day layoff doesn't change that (their momentum). Should be one hell of a series. but with the Rockies better hitting and fileding, I think they will win in 4 - maybe 5.

And I forgot to add that the Rockies OBP was .354 (3rd best in baseball) compared to Arizona at .321 (2nd worst)

You're right, they're very evenly matched, but even with the humidor, the Rockies' offensive production drops significantly outside of Coors. Webb will start at least 2 games, probably 3. Torrealba has trouble throwing runners out - in close games, a high fielding % may not make up for that.

Hey, I'm not terribly confident that the D'backs are better. We're talking about the Rockies, here. I wouldn't bet on this series unless I had to. But I do believe the D'backs will prevail... in 7. I agree - should be a great series.

So much for the NL Worst, huh?:D

Stats don't matter now - play ball!:thu:

• Members
You're right, they're very evenly matched, but even with the humidor, the Rockies' offensive production drops significantly outside of Coors. Webb will start at least 2 games, probably 3. Torrealba has trouble throwing runners out - in close games, a high fielding % may not make up for that.

Hey, I'm not terribly confident that the D'backs are better. We're talking about the Rockies, here. I wouldn't bet on this series unless I had to. But I do believe the D'backs will prevail... in 7. I agree - should be a great series.

So much for the NL
Worst
, huh?
:D

Stats don't matter now - play ball!
:thu:

Ah, the old "Coors Field" argument. :) The Rockies hit better on the road than the D-backs did at home (and WAY better than the D-backs on the road).

Stats don't really matter in a 7 game series though. Unless they are the stats from that series. ;) We'll have to wait and see. That's why they play them.

2 different styles of teams. The Dbacks play small-ball for the most part. They have a couple of heavy hitters, but not the firepower the rockies generally have. The Rockies can also play small-ball as well though and run the bases pretty damn well (though not quite as well without Taveras, damn that boy is fast). They both pitch pretty damn well too. I really do think the difference will come down to Defense, bullpens, and who's hot.

So far as Webb goes, he's a fantastic pitcher, but against the Rocks he went 1-3 with 2 no decisions against the Rockies with a 5.77 ERA and hasn't pitched on a 4 day rotation all year. We'll see how he does when it really counts though. He's talented as hell and can throw REALLY nasty when he's on his game. He'll most likely go up against Francis in game 1. The last guy he went up against was Jake Peavey, and got the win though, so he's shown some big game grit in a must-win situation. 18-10 vs. 17-9. Really good matchup. Webb got him last time they faced off when Francis gave up 4 ER for only the second time in 9 starts. Webb only gave up 2. That was the only loss in the Rockies last 18 games. ;)

The #2 and #3 starters also have very comparable #s to each other.

All that goes out the window when they throw out the first pitch though. They gotta play ball.

It's gonna be fun.

• Members
Helton & Holliday haven't done much this post-season either. If they catch fire a bit, it could be fun.

Right now, the Rockies, Broncos, Avs, and Nuggets are playing. Nuts.

Huh? The Broncos aren't playing. At least they weren't last Sunday.;)

• Members
Where's your seats...?

Section 147. Left field on the 3rd base line near the Pavillion.

I'm hoping it's a sweep game. :D

oh....and Bwebb is afraid of the rockies. Now he's 1-4 with 2 no decisions and an ERA over 6 against them this year. I REALLY hope they are dumb enough to pitch him game 4. I'll be there for the 12-1 Rockies win. :)

• Members

I think I just "got" something about being a father tonight. My son doesn't have school tomorrow so I let him stay up and watch the game. He was there, sitting/laying next to me for most of it, and got super excited when the Rockies won. Yeah, it was 10:00, but what the hell... He doesn't have school tomorrow and it's a big day for Rockies fans. Loved it.

Archived