new drums day??

Guttermouth

• Members

i know ,i know. this is a bass forum:poke:

but, since i hang out here soooo much i figured i'd show off :)

since i was a kid my dad has had a set of slingerlands that he custom ordered back in the mid 70's. they're slingerlands top of the line drums with a 24 inch kick and 18 inch floor in blakkrome finish. he ain't coming off his anytime soon..... so...... i've been on the hunt for a similar kit for years.

i finally ran across one on ebay a couple of weeks back and snatched em up with b.i.n. :)

they needed heads (of course) and everyone was out of remos in the correct sizes so i had to order heads from 4 different places .

at any rate,

i got the last of the heads in today, put em on, tuned em up and am in love. as far as i'm concerned there's not too many drums out there that compete with the sound of late 60's to late 70's slingerlands (the mounting hardware leaves a bit to be desired but the shells are just righteous sounding).

they're what slingy called pearl blue ( it's basicly the same color as mopar blue - my camera washed em out a bit) and the sizes are 13,14,18.24:

slingerlands.jpg

slingerlands2.jpg

• Members

Wow, those shells are in incredible shape for their age. Your new kit looks awesome.

My drummer has a vintage Ludwig kit from the 60's. It's cool and all, but you're right about the mounting hardware - it flat out sucks compared to the stuff they make today. You have to use a wrench to mount and position his toms, whereas nowadays it's usually a drum key and joints you can tighten with your fingers. It amazes me how 'light duty' their cymbal and hi-hat stands were back then as well.

• Members

Wow, those shells are in incredible shape for their age. Your new kit looks awesome.

My drummer has a vintage Ludwig kit from the 60's. It's cool and all, but you're right about the mounting hardware - it flat out sucks compared to the stuff they make today. You have to use a wrench to mount and position his toms, whereas nowadays it's usually a drum key and joints you can tighten with your fingers. It amazes me how 'light duty' their cymbal and hi-hat stands were back then as well.

yeah they are in great shape. there's a little spot on one of the seams on the kick drum - the kick is so huge they had to use 2 pieces to cover it and this color wrap was alot more fragile than the other colors for some reason.the rest of the drums are in awesome shape though.

the hardware thing is what keeps most guys from playing old drums i think. slingerland and rogers were pretty good about adopting drum key mounts so most of them are still useable (although slingerland stands and tom arms are still junk) but, alot of other companies didn't. i dunno if i'm hardcore enough about old drums to have to use a wrench or sockets or something to reposition my drums.

old wood sure does sound good though.....

• Members

Oh dude, killer new kit! Love that Mopar blue wrap. Definitely post up a recording when you get a chance. Bet that kick thumps like a mutha.

Congrats.
:thu:

thanks man - i'm diggin em quite a bit.

i actually got a couple of hours this morning to mess with some mics and they just sound killer on tape. this is them with no eq or effects or anything :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5857946&q=hi

Archived