learning guitar to become a better bassist?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

ive got a guitar that sits in the corner of my room and every once in a while ill pick the thing up and noodle but what i play always seems verry much like a bass line:D

anyway would getting a guitar method book and learning the chords make me less of a chump at bass in any way or would it just make me a guitard:confused:

i figured learning the chords would make me a better musician though

• Members

It'll help a lot, just as working with other instruments will. After a point, it's hard to progress if you spend all your time with a bass and nothing else.

Anything that gets you out the singular mindset of "I PLAY BASS" and gets you closer to being a well-rounded musician is always a plus. I've never met or known a bassist I'd regard as accomplished that wasn't at least competent on another instrument.

• Members

Guitar is way fun, and for me still a challenge to play like a guitar and not like a bassist trying to play a guitar. I wouldn't say it would make you any better as a bassist, but it certainly makes you a more rounded musician, and it never hurts to be able to lay down your own guitar tracks. For me at least, bass is way more rewarding, but guitar is more fun.:cool:

• Members

Learning chords on a guitar make it easy to look at the guitarist and see that he's playing a C or a D or whatever instead of having to figure it out by ear.

when i play by ear i tend to hit every note in the chord except the root but ill be taking aural theory in spring so my ear should get better:thu:

• Members

I actually started out as a guitarist, albeit a bad one...haha

I started playing again last year and sold the guitar a few months ago. I just wasn't digging that actual guitar anymore. I'm gonna get a new one in the new year. Thinkin' about picking up one of the new Danelecto '59 DC's. :)

• Members

It just got me into collecting MORE gear. :mad::love:

I haven't met a guitarist yet who can (or more likely will) do what I asked them to do on guitar. It appears that I am a guitarist now. :o

So this is sort of a 'coming out' post.

I'm coming out guitarded. :freak:

• Members

Man, I am planning to learn keys, personally. Only pussies play guitar...tiny spindly strings and itty bitty frets. fark that
:)

i am learning keys for college.

actually come to think of it i started playing trombone again for college and im gonna learn percussion for college too. i might as well throw guitar in the mix so i can record something and put my own name all over the cd jacket:D

hmm trombone, drums, bass, guitar, and keys...

:idea: ill be a ska band:D

• Members

Or you could learn to play instruments that are not for wussies, and hire one of the 3.5 billion jobless guitarists to do your guitar work in exchange for an egg mcmuffin and absolutely no credit.

Well, I thought that, but my drummer and I can NOT find a competent guitarist to save anything that we hold dear, including ourselves.

What're we doing?

Drum and bass project.

• Members

Or you could learn to play instruments that are not for wussies, and hire one of the 3.5 billion jobless guitarists to do your guitar work in exchange for an egg mcmuffin and absolutely no credit.

with the exception of trombone all of those are in your average rock band so what are you suggesting i get a flute:confused:

• Members

2 years ago January past I bought a guitar because I felt I was in a slup with the bass (27 years) and was bored. I thought learning Guitar would help me be a better bass player.

I never ever Played a guitar in my life before that

guitar is fun but I could not play it like I wanted to.

I did learn a lot from the time I spent learning guitar. As someone else mentioned I learned the positions of chords just by looking over to see where a guitar player had his fingers.

I learned a few things to better my bass playing----as was the intent.

Archived