What would comprise an okay bass rig

Zapdude

• Members

I'm looking to pick up a bass and amp to mess around with occasionally, or to use in a basement jam if a bassplayer happens to drop by, but doesn't have gear.

I'm a guitar player, and have several guitars and amps and I am aware of the differences of tubes verus SS, single coil vs HB's when it comes to six-strings, but don't know what to look for in a bass and amp.

Type of music would be straight ahead rock 'n roll.

Thx!

• Members

First question, what are you looking to spend?

Would like to keep the total to about $1,000. A few hundred one way or another is no big deal.

I'm looking for something superior to a "starter kit" that gets you an axe and amp $250 - based on my experience with guitar/amp kits at that price point, those aren't worth it.

• Members

Would like to keep the total to about $1,000. A few hundred one way or another is no big deal.

I'm looking for something superior to a "starter kit" that gets you an axe and amp $250 - based on my experience with guitar/amp kits at that price point, those aren't worth it.

Those starter kits aren't worth the paper they are printed on?

$1000 should more than suffice. If you get used gear across the board, you can do very will with a grand.

• Members

I'm a guitar player, and have several guitars and amps and I am aware of the differences of tubes verus SS, single coil vs HB's when it comes to six-strings, but don't know what to look for in a bass and amp.

In the world of bass, tubes aren't important like they are in the world of guitars. Most boutique bass amps are solid state.

• Moderators

In the world of bass, tubes aren't important like they are in the world of guitars. Most boutique bass amps are solid state.

Why you, I oughta... :mad:

T. Alan has some good suggestions for a rig. For a bass, you want a Precision, probably simply a straight forward MIM Fender P. I say this so matter of factly with equal parts being tongue-in-cheek and serious. You may in fact prefer a different bass, but there is simply no way to go wrong with the P in the situation you describe.

• Members

Bastage! Heathen! Catamite! :mad:

:p

Any combo or head/cab rig from Peavey, Ampeg, GK, Traynor/Yorkville, Ashdown oughta do the trick.

If you want tubes, get a Traynor YBA 200 head ($600 or so) and an Avatar 2x12 Neo cab ($300) and you're in good shape. :thu:

Edit: Oh, yeah. You'll want bass with that. Squier VM P or Jazz. :D

• Members

A budget like that + or minus a few hundred? So we could be talking as much as 1500.00?

Sheesh, this should be fun! OK as for a Cabinet..I would suggest Avatar..they are excellent, cheap, and sound great.

As far as amp? I'd go used and I would say Gallien Krueger 800RB, it's a rock classic and there isn't much out there that can touch it for the used market.

As far as basses I would say there are a few options that would work. Since it's Rock, I would initially say P bass...better yet a G&L SB2.

As for basses you could also look into an Ibanez ATK, Hamer Cruisebass, Fender Jazz etc... I would highly recommend the SB2 though...it's the best bass out there...especially ones that are a few years old.

Dan

• Members

I'd have to disagree..tube amps sound absolutely beautiful. Although I'm not a guitarist so I don't know how important they are..i suppose I'm just talking out of my ass:D..I still love tubes.

Dan

• Members

Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special: ~$350 shipped used

Galien-Krueger 700RBII Head: ~$425 shipped used ($600 shipped new)

Avatar B212 Neo Bass Cab: ~$350 shipped new

Thats a perfect rig really..good job! I think theres a MIJ special on ebay right now for a good price.

Dan

• Members

Thunderbroom is a wise man.....

This setup will make you VERY happy! :thu:

• Members

I'm looking to pick up a bass and amp to mess around with occasionally, or to use in a basement jam if a bassplayer happens to drop by, but doesn't have gear.

Type of music would be straight ahead rock 'n roll.

Thx!

www.rondomusic.com for the bass, no doubt.

www.musiciansfriend.com, check out the crate or ampeg 100 watt "15 combo amps.

The bass and the amp from those two shouldn't run more than $500-600 total, and you get damn good gear.

• Members

www.rondomusic.com
for the bass, no doubt.

www.musiciansfriend.com
, check out the crate or ampeg 100 watt "15 combo amps.

The bass and the amp from those two shouldn't run more than $500-600 total, and you get damn good gear.

No way on the Rondo...with that budget get a decent bass..not a bass that requires mods to be good.

Dan

• Members

Except of course, the 212 Avatar is $530 shipped up here. I thought our dollar was at par? They should revise their pricing. :mad:

With $1000 to spend, I like the idea of the Yorkie 200T combo amp. With a used MIM P or J, you'll be right around your budget.

Archived