Active Pick-Ups Question

Gruntollio Bass

• Members

For you fellas that have basses with active pick-ups.......................how often would you change battery in your bass?

I know this would depend on hours of play and leaving your bass plugged in etc..............but describe how often you would change your battery in your axe.

I've had a passive bass for years and my ATK305 is my first active so I just wanted to get a feel for how often I should be looking to swap battery...........being proactive and all.;)

• Members

I'd say 6-8 months for safety.

I only changed the batteries in my Bongo over the period of a year, and the first change came only a couple weeks after I got the bass.

The Alembic goes through a set in about 10-12 hours. :eek:

Fortunately, I don't use battery power much for that one.

• Members

I'd say 6-8 months for safety.

I only changed the batteries in my Bongo over the period of a year, and the first change came only a couple weeks after I got the bass.

The Alembic goes through a set in about 10-12 hours.
:eek:

Fortunately, I don't use battery power much for that one.

Fair Dinkum!?! 10 to 12 hours!

I've been rehearsing with my ATK305 twice a week since I got it for a few hours each time and have played several gigs with it. I got it back in May this year and can't say I've noticed any change in performance?

What do you find happens when your battery is on the way out? Do you get a more distorted signal or no signal?? Just curious as I have a gig this Friday and intend on changing the battery beforehand just for saftey. Keen to know what symptoms of a dying battery are beforehand though. :)

• Members

Fair Dinkum!?! 10 to 12 hours!

I've been rehearsing with my ATK305 twice a week since I got it for a few hours each time and have played several gigs with it. I got it back in May this year and can't say I've noticed any change in performance?

What do you find happens when your battery is on the way out? Do you get a more distorted signal or no signal?? Just curious as I have a gig this Friday and intend on changing the battery beforehand just for saftey. Keen to know what symptoms of a dying battery are beforehand though.
:)

The signal will become heavily distorted. You'll know it when you hear it.

As for the Alembic, as long as I've got this box and a handy outlet, I'm good to go. The batteries are an emergency backup.

9-4-07089.jpg

• Members

The signal will become heavily distorted. You'll know it when you hear it.

As for the Alembic, as long as I've got this box and a handy outlet, I'm good to go. The batteries are an emergency backup.

9-4-07089.jpg

OK thanks for that mate. I haven't had any distortion yet so battery must still be OK. I think I'll change my strings whilst I'm at it. :D:thu:

Is that box like a power supply for your bass?

• Members

OK thanks for that mate. I haven't had any distortion yet so battery must still be OK. I think I'll change my strings whilst I'm at it.
:D
:thu:

Is that box like a power supply for your bass?

Batteries in most active basses will last a really long time. Like I said, you'll know when it's going, but as long as you don't leave the bass plugged in, it should last for several months.

Yeah, the box is a power supply. There's a 5-pin XLR cable that runs between the bass and the box, and a 1/4" patch cord that goes between the box and the amp.

• Members

I usualy check my batteries after about 6 months. I've found that the sound doesn't get distorted with my Schecter, but when I replace the old batteries the sound comes alive, ... still, I'd rather not really notice that they are dying than have them get all farty.....

• Members

when you think it needs changed..other than distortion

take it out

test it on a battery tester

assess whether it is going to need replaced or not

put the date on the batt when installed and checked..that gives you some idea of life span

and if in doubt

fit the spare you carry...you do dont you

and buy another spare

ps..i had a spare so long it was faulty when i took it out of the pack

so check your spare as well

:)

Archived