Help Me Pick Band Photos

Thunderbroom

• Members

We hired a photographer to take band photos. He charges a flat fee and will retake the pictures as often as necessary to ensure that the client is satisfied. We had him come out to a bar gig over the Summer but due to poor planning on our part he was rushed. Many of the pictures turned out good but we couldn't get a complete set. For his price you get one group shot and one individual of each band member. No more, no less.

We had him come out again when we played our recent corporate gig attended by our very own Thudmaker. Here's the link:

YFC Pics

Suggestions for the group shot (and individual band members) are welcome. While we could have him come out again, I'm certain we'll choose from these photos as they are holding up our promo material for next year's fest season and for the revamped website.

Note: Please do not reproduce these photos (not sure why you would), online (unless in this thread) or in print, as we do not hold the copyright. Jody, the photographer, is a great guy. We don't want to infringe on his work.

I look constipated in most of my individual shots.

:(

• Members

What, no pictures in a laundromat, diner, or trainyard?

No disinterested, I have other places to be, looks on your faces?

No pics of every band member looking in a different direction? You need to fire this photographer. :)

Actually, all of them are excellent. I prefer the few of the band that are a little closer up.

• Members

For your own picture, yeah you do look kinda constipated and a bit p*ssed off in some of them. The last two of you are nice ones.

I like this one.

_JWI9800.jpg

Kinda moody/thinking look. Looks good. :)

Yeah wtf is with the raaaaheaally camp picture of one of your band mates. Someone else posted it aswell. :freak:

• Members

Why are all of the band pics in B&W? You guys look like the Blair Witch Band.

I'm not totally sure, but by the time we got around to the group shots, it was dark outside. Behind us is the dreaded brick wall (which I protested against). Jody said that with the ivy on it, coupled with the lense he was using that it wouldn't look like one of those goofy brickwall band shots.

• Members

For your own picture, yeah you do look kinda constipated and a bit p*ssed off in some of them. The last two of you are nice ones.

I like this one.

_JWI9800.jpg

Kinda moody/thinking look. Looks good.
:)

Yeah wtf is with the raaaaheaally camp picture of one of your band mates. Someone else posted it aswell.
:freak:

yeah, thats the best one of t-broom

• Members

There were quite a few goofy ones that were taken (of me as well). For some reason, Jody (the photog) included the drummer's pic in the preview link that I posted.

You should make him keep it :lol:

In my friends old band they did photos in front of a warehouse, looked pretty cool. The rest of the band was dressed in leather pants and shirts. My friend decided to wear a jeans and a tshirt and smile in the photos and the rest of the band had the moody look.... :lol:

• Members

Photos aren't bad. Nothing really stands out, though.

Here's what I'm thinking: Duct Tape Bass Concept Photo Shoot!

Does your guitarist have a tele that can be given the same treatment as your duct tape bass? Does your drummer have an old kit that can also have the shells be given the same treatment? Same goes for other instruments. Then, the instrumentalists dress in all black or all white...include cowboy hats with a headband that is of the same motif as your bass. Your singers would dress in the same hats...but they would wear some nice inviting outfits that feature your duct tape bass stylings. The backdrop should be very monochrome...all white or all black perhaps. Something to make the instruments and your singers just POP off the page/screen.

• Members

You might want to consider the option of having him come out again.

The problem I see is contrast and ovexposure. The black and white photos were shot with very direct light (no type of diffusion) which created some really sharp, dark shadows. The color photos are all very washed out in the light areas. Especially those where the guy(s) are wearing dark shirts - look at the faces in those pics.

The high contrast might be a cool effect when you are looking at good first generation prints, but this will cause you headaches in the future. Most of the time the photos will get used (flyers, ads in mags/journals, etc.) you will have virtually no quality control on the printing. This is especially true when the print media is "newsprint". What's going to happen, again and again, is that the ad/flyer/promo/etc. is going to get even more contrasted and washed out and the pics will look awful. A lot of times, the faces will end up being just light blobs and will be unrecognizable. You will be frustrated.

I'm assuming the photog in question is a pro, and that you are paying him/her a good chunk of change, yes? If so, they should certainly get what I'm saying and they should be willing to get it right. So...do the photos over, this time with more diffused light, less overexposure, and richer, more saturated midtones.

Think of the analogy to audio. Imagine that you recorded a master, and it had overpowering bass, very week mids, and lots of screechy highs, with a ton of sibiliance. Then you just handed that master out to lots of various people to reproduce and you had no say or control in how they did so. Some media would be analog tape, some MP3, some vinyl, some ADAT, some WAV files, etc. How do you think your "product" would end up being heard by the end users?

Archived