buying something on ebay with a money order

dDigitalPimp

• Members

i am looking at a bass on ebay now and the seller recently changed names and has 0 feedback on the new name. this alone is not a huge deal but combined with the seller only taking credit cards and money orders (no paypal) i am sort of uncomfortable making a bid.

i know that rule of thumb is if you have a question dont bid but this is the bass i have been looking for and as it stands now it will be within my price range coming up to ending time of the auction.

i can click on the icon next to his current seller ID and get his old seller ID but i cannot seem to find how to read his feedbacks with the old name, is that pretty standard or am i doing something wrong? also should i just stay away from this bass or what?

• Members

The big thing is if you can verify his history. If you can't find a link to access it, maybe you can ask eBay direct.

As for zero feedback, a new name, or MO-CC only, these are not in themselves reason to worry, as I have dealt with buying quality basses with each of those issues.

The big thing is his past history. And in that, mostly if there's a pattern of not caring about his transactions. Any big seller or buyer can wind up with a few bad reviews if they've done 1000+ transactions. But if there is a large percentage of negative or neutral feedbacks from multiple buyers, I get worried real quick.

• Members

I got my 1997 Q5 w/ chechen (turned out to be my main ax too!) from a guy who had 0 feedback, was from Small-Town, LA, and was doing it just to buy his fiances engagement ring.

I called him, talked a few times, verified his info and got a killer deal. He'd have gotten a few hundred more w/ some feedback which he acknowledged, so it can be done.
But it never felt funny. From someone who's been scammed, you get a feeling quickly if you're getting the rape-around or not.

• Members

thanks for the answers. i contacted ebay with the guys current and previous seller IDs. auto response said it will take between 24-48 hours for an answer. lets hope its on the 24 side, auction ends in less than two days. if i dont hear back from them i think i will pass.

what do you guys think? sound like a rip off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180167836640&Category=4713&_trksid=p3907.m29

• Members

Just by looking at the auction, everything seems to be ok. However, knowing about the whole changing names thing, that would bother me. I bought my SR4 with a money order...which I didn't realize until I went to pay for it. I was uncomfortable until the bass showed up. Everything turned out just fine, but I'll never forget that feeling. There is nothing you can really do if they take your money and run. The PO doesn't insure the MO...same with a cashiers check.

So what I'm saying in a round-a-bout way...I'd pass. I'll never do another MO/cashiers transaction unless I'm being paid by one...in which case I have nothing to fear.

• Members

No CCs. At first I was thinking go for it, as an eBay seller I DO NOT take paypal unless the buyer wants to pay for the fees. My rating is 100% with 80 buys/sells- even with this kind of rating I get people nervous about not taking Paypal. I tell them to go {censored} themselves, in a nice way of course.

If you get his history, can solve the NYC vs. Nashville thing (which is asking the moon) then I say go for it. But since I doubt this'll happen, stay away.

• Members

Ummm, where's it say he's taking credit cards? That auction states money order or cashier's check.

Avoid this like the plague. You have NO recourse whatsoever.

it does say he takes credit cards but i am not going to bid anyway. i think i need to play more 5 stringers in stores before i make my mind up but that unfinished wood look and neck thru looks hot.

• Members
I got my 1997 Q5 w/ chechen (turned out to be my main ax too!) from a guy who had 0 feedback, was from Small-Town, LA, and was doing it just to buy his fiances engagement ring.

I called him, talked a few times, verified his info and got a killer deal. He'd have gotten a few hundred more w/ some feedback which he acknowledged, so it can be done.

But it never felt funny. From someone who's been scammed, you get a feeling quickly if you're getting the rape-around or not.

You failed to mention I know the guy, and backed his reputation. :D

• Members

Hmmmm... Any forumites in Nashville? I'd trust most people on this forum. See if they can pick up the item and ship it to you.

if i knew someone down there i would ask. i am not going to bid but i will watch this guys feedback and see how the deal worked out. i still really like that bass. ill wait for another.

• Members

Yeah, me too. My friend's bank account info got hacked from his paypal. Not using that.

i dont have my paypal acct verified (ie. they dont have my bank acct #) the only way i would do that is if i was a big time seller and needed to get verified to get money deposited to my bank as opposed to just getting paypal credit is to setup a dummy bank account you just use to dump money from paypal and transfer to your real account.

your buddy prolly responeded to one of those bogus pay pal emails where they asked for a password.

Archived