Logo help (for all the photoshop peeps)

B-Bottom

• Members

I have been trying to create a band logo using Inkscape. Going from doing all of this {censored} by hand to using the computer is beyond frustrating to me. If anyone can give me any help making our logo look cool I would be forever in your debt. I would really like the thing to be cleaned up and have different sizes of it. Again I am a total newb at this stuff.

• Members

It's a cool idea for a logo. However, unless you're willing to save it as a huge file in Photoshop, changing sizes with it won't be very easy. The design is simple enough that you should be able to recreate that in a vector format, which will allow you to resize it at your whim. If you go to a sign shop and have anything made with it, that's probably the first thing they'll do (and probably charge you for the conversion).

• Members

I know it's a little different from the original idea, but this is what I was inspired to do...

You were "inspired" to bevel and drop shadow the one I spent 30 minutes cleaning up? :rolleyes:

You MUST tell me where honed your skill.

rhinenew.jpg

Phew, my inspiration is SPENT I say.

• Members

I appreciate all of the help fellows. I am trying like hell to figure out how to use the pc in order to design things. Like I said I usually do everything by hand so this is all new to me.

I have been debating just buying a scanner and going that route from now on. I have zero patience when it comes to doing stuff on the computer.

If I ever wanted to change the background color or the color of the logo is their an easy way to do that?

• Members

I appreciate all of the help fellows. I am trying like hell to figure out how to use the pc in order to design things. Like I said I usually do everything by hand so this is all new to me.

I have been debating just buying a scanner and going that route from now on. I have zero patience when it comes to doing stuff on the computer.

If I ever wanted to change the background color or the color of the logo is their an easy way to do that?

once again, if you scan the logo, you still have to trace it out in a vector program. vector art is a tiny file size, and can be rasterized at any physical size with no loss of detail. if you scan it, it is raster art and will never be any bigger than your original scan. but this does bring up a good point. you can draw by hand, scan it, and then trace out the shapes as vector work. no one says you have to do it 100% on the computer. look up tutorials on "bezier pen tools". i'm not familiar with inkscape, but the process should be similar.

once its vector art, its all shapes. and you can just select the shape and pick a new color and its done.

• Members

once again, if you scan the logo, you still have to trace it out in a vector program. vector art is a tiny file size, and can be rasterized at any physical size with no loss of detail. if you scan it, it is raster art and will never be any bigger than your original scan. but this does bring up a good point. you can draw by hand, scan it, and then trace out the shapes as vector work. no one says you have to do it 100% on the computer. look up tutorials on "bezier pen tools". i'm not familiar with inkscape, but the process should be similar.

once its vector art, its all shapes. and you can just select the shape and pick a new color and its done.

interesting. I'll look into that. Spanks!!!

• Members

Like I said I usually do everything by hand so this is all new to me.

I have been debating just buying a scanner and going that route from now on.

That's what I do. I don't think I'll ever be better with a mouse than I am with a pencil. A lot of digital art starts on paper and gets scanned.

• Members

That's what I do. I don't think I'll ever be better with a mouse than I am with a pencil. A lot of digital art starts on paper and gets scanned.

In the old days sure...most digital art begins on the computer now. Wacom tablets being the standard.

Oh sure, don't get me wrong, there are still people that start sketching on paper then bring it into Photoshop...it's just that more and more people are foregoing the paper phase.

Take a look over at some of the work at CGTalk...many of them include how it was done and the work-in-progress.

Archived