We give Phil Collins a lot of flak here............

Funkee1

• Members

Ok,
maybe
drums.
:mad:

Speaking thereof......."Digging in the dirt" is another song I forgot about. Another masterpiece. Phil and Peter are very different, but both are brilliant!!!(Although Peter is more like Gordon Ramsay, and Phil is like Dave Thomas)

• Members

Phil Collins deserves all the flak he gets and then some. His solo work is absolute dreck - music at it's worst.

But the reason he deserves flak is because he's actually very talented and can do so much better. He can, and has, put out some excellent material. His work with Brand X was stellar (especially working with Percy Jones). He did some cool stuff with Brian Eno. I'm not a huge Genesis fan, but his earlier work at least deserved some respect. He's got it in him for sure.

He's also in a position (at least he used to be) that he could literally fart, record it, and people would buy it. He had a captured audience that would have supported him just fine regardless of what he released so he was at least financially secure. So what does he do? - puts out the most soul-less, commercial, vapid pop imaginable. Why?

• Members

He's also in a position (at least he used to be) that he could literally fart, record it, and people would buy it. He had a captured audience that would have supported him just fine regardless of what he released so he was at least financially secure. So what does he do? - puts out the most soul-less, commercial, vapid pop imaginable. Why?

Because there is, and always has been, a terrific market for soulless, commercial vapid pop, and writing of such is an art form itself.

• Members

Phil's one of the finest all-around talents out there. He writes well, sings well, and has done it sucssfully for a long time. That's the sign of a true champagne. The only problem I have with him is that he dosn't play drums enough on his own or with other acts.

Even if he wasn't all those things, I'd still get his albums and see his shows if Nathan East was on board.

• Members

I guess I don't even consider what he's put out since he left Genesis. His work in the mid to late 80's was half and half...tremendous accomplishment here/souless dribble there. His solo work since the mid 80's has pretty much sucked in comparison to his groundbreaking solo stuff from the early 80's. His work with Genesis is consistently excellent, however. Bear in mind, I don't compare the PC led Genesis with the PG led Genesis- different bands. PG Genesis was full on art rock. Whereas, PC Genesis is only partial art rock & some of the finest pop out there. :thu:

I too, am VERY disappointed with PC as a writer for some time. However, he's WAY underappreciated these days as a performing artist(drummer, etc). Give it up folks!!! :)

• Members

I guess I don't even consider what he's put out since he left Genesis. His work in the mid to late 80's was half and half...tremendous accomplishment here/souless dribble there. His solo work since the mid 80's has pretty much sucked in comparison to his groundbreaking solo stuff from the early 80's. His work with Genesis is consistently excellent, however. Bear in mind, I don't compare the PC led Genesis with the PG led Genesis- different bands. PG Genesis was full on art rock. Whereas, PC Genesis is only partial art rock & some of the finest pop out there.
:thu:
I too, am VERY disappointed with PC as a writer for some time. However, he's WAY underappreciated these days as a performing artist(drummer, etc). Give it up folks!!!
:)

Genesis is the shape of a mountain with The Lamb being the peak. :D

• Members

Speaking of Brand-X, the only album I had of theirs was the one with the shutter/blinds on the cover- smokin' sheeet!

Wasn't Phil Manzanera the guitard player? Pros all around.

I've said it before, but: Let Phil sing, just keep him chained to his drum kit!:evil:

Archived