can a cover be better than the original?

allan grossman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My band does a cover of Starsailor's 'Tie Up My Hands'. All of our fans absolutely love it. Most of them have never even heard the original, and if they did, they wouldn't realize it was the song we cover.

I think, if an original band takes a song and 'makes it their own', it can be better than the original, because it can reach a point where it is almost a new song. No note-for-note cover will ever be better than the original.

• Members

I think so, as long as you give full credit to the artist that wrote it.

My band is perfecting a Crowbar cover for our new album and I like it better than the original, and I love Crowbar :thu:.

Better hope for an original band that isn't your best song though. If it is your {censored}ed.

• Members

It's about taste. We have here N'Guyen Lee; jazz-worldmusic-rock guitarist that have made a cover album from Jimi, called "Purple: celebrating Hendrix"
This cd is enormous, each tune completely different from the original. It's like N'Guyen would have take raw diamonds from Hendrix and made the diamond cut, to me.
After, sometimes i've discovered some tunes with cover, liked cover, and dislike the original. I'm not fan from the Beatles. I really like a song i discovered from U2, think it was from them, and discovered later that it was a Beatles tune: "Helter Skelter". I really like this song played by U2, but don't like the Beatles original...
:D

• Members

shinedowns simple man

I don't care what anyone says, they're about equal. Each one has it's own passion an energy that makes my skin crawl (in a good way!) every time I hear them.

One of my fave songs ever written, honestly.

• Members

I like a lot of covers and think they are better than the originals. I have respect for the original, but sometimes the cover is better. A few examples are:

Pantera - Electric Funeral & Planet Caravan (Sabbath)

Dimmu Borgir - Burn in Hell (Twisted Sister)

Earth Crisis - Hell Awaits (Slayer)

H.I.M. - Wicked Game (Chris Issak)

Machine Head - Battery (Metallica) my favorite....

GnR - Live and Let Die

• Members
Bass line is really easy. The trick to playing Cake is having a good trumpet player
;)

EDIT: and it really is a blast to play.

I guess you just get the progression down and be liberal with extra notes, huh? :) That's how I'm gonna approach it anyhow.

Archived