Recone or replace?

upinflames

• Members

So, I bought an Ampeg B15S awhile back and opened it up and the speaker has a hole in it. I can't believe I didn't take the grill off and check this out before I bought it...but it was only $350. Question is, should I get the speaker repaired or just replace it? Fliptops recommends the Eminence Delta 15A, which is $82.50. Would it be cheaper to get it the busted one fixed or just buy a new speaker?

2000530019295905881_rs.jpg

• Members

I have never seen a decent 15" speaker with a recone kit less than a hundred bucks, plus labor. Buy the new one.

I've got a couple old JBL 15's and they're going to pop their cones soon so I did a lot of looking, and most kits are crazy expensive.

• Members

You mean those little domes in the middle are only dust covers, and not part of the sound-producing system? Honest, I didn't know!

I didn't know this until like a few weeks ago lol :) It's amazing how easy it is to be ignorant of such things.

• Members

The amp rattles when it's turned up, but I don't know if that's because there is padding missing under the chassis or what...I've haven't given it a good look through. But, if the hole in the dust cover doesn't effect the sound, I guess I'll leave that be...which is good because I didn't want to replace it.

I'll have to go throw fliptop and compare their pictures with what my amp looks like and try to see what's making the rattle.

Oh, and this thing smokes on electric guitar. I was blown away. Amazing natural crunch.

• Members

Slightly unrelated, but kinda related, I had a Delta 10 speaker from my old Avatar cab that I had somehow dented in the middle. I don't know if that's a dust cap on those speakers, but it was distorted and sounded like crap.

I had just replaced the other speaker in the cab a few weeks ago, so I didn't really want to shell out for another new speaker. I took a pin and poked a tiny hole in the cone, then bent the pin with pliers and a lighter. Threaded it in, angled it, prayed, and pulled - voila, no more dent!

• Members

Slightly unrelated, but kinda related, I had a Delta 10 speaker from my old Avatar cab that I had somehow dented in the middle. I don't know if that's a dust cap on those speakers, but it was distorted and sounded like crap.

I had just replaced the other speaker in the cab a few weeks ago, so I didn't really want to shell out for another new speaker. I took a pin and poked a tiny hole in the cone, then bent the pin with pliers and a lighter. Threaded it in, angled it, prayed, and pulled - voila, no more dent!

Clear packing tape works well. Carefully apply it to the dent and give it a quick pull.

• Moderators

So, I bought an Ampeg B15S awhile back and opened it up and the speaker has a hole in it. I can't believe I didn't take the grill off and check this out before I bought it...but it was only $350. Question is, should I get the speaker repaired or just replace it? Fliptops recommends the Eminence Delta 15A, which is $82.50. Would it be cheaper to get it the busted one fixed or just buy a new speaker?

Or just replace the dust cap: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=827&SO=2

• Members

Clear packing tape works well. Carefully apply it to the dent and give it a quick pull.

While you've got the driver out, press gently on the sides. If you feel rubbing, then the speaker is probably blown. Then you can thing about Recone/replace, but that is unrelated to the dust cap.

I don't know about everywhere else, but Reconing is usually about $15 to %20 less than replacing out here.

• Members

2000530019295905881_rs.jpg

Yeah, I cant tell if there are any other holes, but that aluminum cone is just a dust cap. It does nothing. You could get rid of it and it would have no effect. Other than protecting from dust.

www.speakerex.com

Archived