OT: Having serious issues with my wireless router.

willsellout

• Members

So I purchased a lynksis router yesterday and installed it today. It's working but when I try to set the security to the max I am asked for a password. I know the password and input it on my mac and it keeps saying that it's the wrong password. WTF? I've gone in and changed the {censored}ing thing already and still can't access. I didn't want my network available to everyone but I have no choice at this point. Anyone have any advice for this?

Dan

• Members

Right on. I have a laptop like yours but I still have to choose WEP 128-bit or whatever the saying is. But yeah, just try it with each setting. Linksys support is the lamest thing I've ever had to deal with... So avoid if possible.

Yeah no {censored}...they suck. You have a macbook?

Dan

• Members

I use the wrt54g routers as cheap access points for a public net at work. (Around 20 APs for open access for college students)

I've never had a problem with any of the 30 plus that I use, but I had one at home that I bought new from WalMart that just would not allow access to the web config page. Ended up taking it back for a new one that worked perfectly.

:shrug:

• Members

I think I know what your problem is. By default the password entry is set to "WEP password" when you select your network out of the Airport menu. You can't enter a standard WEP key this way. Click the "wireless security" drop-down box and if you're using 128 bit WEP, chances are you're using a hex key, so select "WEP 128 bit hex". Unless you're using something else altogether like WPA. Just select the one that matches the type of security you're using.

• Members

I tried setting it up with the wep stuff and it didn't work. Could it be that it's having problems since my computer is a PC and my laptop is a Mac?

Dan

That shouldn't be the case. Statistically speaking you probably got a WRT54G, which actually operates on a micro version of Linux. Something definitely seems to be up though...maybe try a full reset and enter a new WPA key, try the process again.

• Members

That shouldn't be the case. Statistically speaking you probably got a WRT54G, which actually operates on a micro version of Linux. Something definitely seems to be up though...maybe try a full reset and enter a new WPA key, try the process again.

That model sounds right. How do I do a full reset? I've gone to their online site and tried to reset the password and it didn't work and I can't seem to get anything to change.

Dan

• Members

There will either be a hole into which you can stick a straightened paperclip or on some models I believe hitting the lit Cisco logo (looks like the Golden Gate Bridge to me) will reset the router to defaults. Once this is done you'll need to use the default of no user & "admin" password to config the router again.

Archived