My guitarist is a union shop steward.

BEAD

• Members

In my last job (call center) there was union reps there but I didn't join, they kept trying to get me to join. The problem was, they were going to negotiate an increase with the management, now the increase over the course of a year is LESS than the membership of the union for the year. So I wouldn't be saving anything, it'd cost me more!! :mad:

LOGIC people....LOGIC!

• Members

Most of us don't have anything against unions. They used to serve an important purpose in the US labor market, and to some (very diminished) extent, they still do. Many of us just happen to be critical of unions that force to many employer concessions without taking the big picture into account. The UAW is a classic example.

I've worked both union and non-union jobs. In my opinion, it's best to work for a good non-union company. Some employers, unfortunately, deserve to have a unionized workforce. My last employer was one of these. My benefits sucked with that employer, but without the union there I wouldn't have had any. There is still a place for unions in today's labor market, but those places are usually found in companies that routinely screw over their employees.

• Members

Most of us don't have anything against unions. They used to serve an important purpose in the US labor market, and to some (very diminished) extent, they still do. Many of us just happen to be critical of unions that force to many employer concessions without taking the big picture into account. The UAW is a classic example.

I've worked both union and non-union jobs. In my opinion, it's best to work for a
good
non-union company. Some employers, unfortunately, deserve to have a unionized workforce. My last employer was one of these. My benefits sucked with that employer, but without the union there I wouldn't have had any. There is still a place for unions in today's labor market, but those places are usually found in companies that routinely screw over their employees.

+1.

I used to be a Teamster while at UPS. Don't miss it much.

• CMS Author

With executive salaries, and corporate profit margins rising into the stratosphere, but blue and white collar jobs being cut and salaries stagnant, there's definitely a need for organized labor and craft people....no different than what brought unions into the world in the first place.

There are a lot of good unions that act smart and help both members and management succeed. But the ones that go over the top and cut their noses off in spite of their faces will always make everyone look bad.

• Members

I do not "hate" unions, but for many, as listed above, they appear to have lost their logic. If you yell and scream and picket for amore benefits and then your company decides it's cheaper to move to Mexico or Canada and hire non-union workers, what have you gained?

Being in the IT field, my state is very non-union. But my company has offices in other states that are union. One of my co-workers here moved from Reno and he said he relocated his PC on his own desk and a union IT guy filed a grievance against him because his moving his own PC across the desk cost him and his family money. HUH?!?!?! :freak:

• CMS Author

I do not "hate" unions, but for many, as listed above, they appear to have lost their logic. If you yell and scream and picket for amore benefits and then your company decides it's cheaper to move to Mexico or Canada and hire non-union workers, what have you gained?

Nothing. But......if the company was making record profits and moved because the union demanded a slice of that pie, and none of the company's clients cut them off for moving out of the US, and the foreign workers didn't ask for similar pay, then who's at fault? There's shared blame in a lot of these situations, but it's easy to place it in one lap.

BTW, slowly, I'm seeing companies that outsourced IT starting to move it back. The 'cheap' labor wasn't so cheap, or skilled, or motivated, or convenient, and that all costs money.

• Members

BTW, slowly, I'm seeing companies that outsourced IT starting to move it back. The 'cheap' labor wasn't so cheap, or skilled, or motivated, or convenient, and that all costs money.

Its good that its happening over there, I wish it could be said for here.

Nearly all the manufacturing companies here have packed up jobs and moved overseas or outsourced. Some IT companies too.

The large majority of the jobs left are based around services, a lot of them in FS.

• Members

Yes and that is why for the first time in my life I am not faced with old job vs. new job decision. I actually have two different firms courting me.

• Members

I have seen IT offshoring and outsourcing in action at many companies.

I haven't seen it work well or actually save any money at the end of the day.

Service and quality always seems to suffer though.

It's just another CIO fad that didn't work out.

Unfortunately, it cost a lot of good people their jobs in the process.

• Members

I'm a teacher. To me unions are a necessary evil. They come in handy at contract negotiation time, but all too often the union is the last refuge of the scoundrels. I've seen too many lousy teachers keep their jobs long after they should have been fired because the union keeps going to bat for them.

Archived