"building" your own bass

roosterbass

• Members

so right now my only bass is a fretless, i want to have a fretted too and want to completely design it myself...i have a body i can use, im going to sand it down and repaint it....does anyone have any suggestions as to companies to buy necks from?? im looking for a j bazz style neck, rosewood fingerboard, i want to slowly acquire all the parts i need and then give them to a luthier I know to put them all together. im thinking badassII bridge, dimarzio pickup system (the one with the humbucker and have two j style surrounding it...any suggestions from anyone with experience doing this?

• Members

Keep in mind you're going to end up spending a lot more money for your parts bass in the end than it would cost to get a new fretless off the shelf. Your parts bass, although unique (which may in itself be worth the extra cost) will not have near the resale value either.

• Members

whats wrong with this thread?

Nothing at all... fear not. I was merely implying that the previous posters answer was near perfect. Anything else after that will just turn this into a show-off for other peoples Warmoth projects.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I don't doubt seeing and hearing positive results from others will encourage you too. And then someone else will chime in saying "do a search, this has come up a billion times: and so forth. And the thread will veer off course for about 150 or so posts, you'll have long tuned out as you aren't getting any more constructive help and so on.

:D

• Members

BP361a.jpg

I love that finish! I was going to build a Geddy Lee inspired J bass...with that finish on it. The neck/fretboard was going to be all birds eye maple and the block inlays were going to be black abalone pearl. Basically the same look as a Geddy for far away, but when you get close you notice the fine details. I thought about making it a 5er too...but Fender type 5 strings usually look weird.

I will still build it one of these days...

• Members

I will still build it one of these days...

...aahh my favorite phrase. :D

I've had a dream of building a very specific bass myself, but can never get the funds together to get it started. Of course, mine is somewhat limited by the fact that I want a few very specific parts in it as well, and they aren't readily available... like T-40 pups, and custom neck options not available at Warmoth, USACG and so on like a zero fret.

• Members

Come on. Having someone else do all the work is also missing much of the fun. I did this about 4 years ago. Everything that isn't metal is my own work. (Might explain why you've never seen one that looks like it before.) Did end up buying a table saw, band saw, planer and two routers. (Might have been able to buy two basses for that much money.) Anyway the results are unique. Might have done better than the EMG pickups, but this thing sustains forever. (OK, not really forever, but much longer than my Fender Jazz plus with a Warmoth fretless neck.)

Archived