The cost of dropping recruitment standards

• Members

Well, if he was really back at Fort Sill 9 days before the shooting, that shuold be pretty easy to prove. Be interesting to see how that turns out. Looks like a good possibility anyway that they may have the wrong guy.

"A police spokesman said that police believe Hill is a member of a Baltimore-area Bloods gang" is not really any type of proof as far as I'm concerned. If he has an air-tight alibi, then this is all just a mistake.

However, the military, like and part of society, will have their own bad apples. while the vast majority of people I served with were great upstanding people, there were a few {censored}heels mixed in as well.

• Members

wow, at least it was army and not airforce...imagine a rogue blood with a load of fuel-air bombs and a grudge...

can't they catch this sort of thing?

All DoD agencies do local law enforcement background checks prior to enlistment. If he didn't have a record, he won't raise a flag.

Having said that, I worked with quite a few former gang-bangers in 26 years in the Regular Army and Guard. They were pretty decent troops, possibly because they knew what it felt like to get kicked around by life before they joined up.

'At least it was the army' is a pretty assinine thing to say. I'm assuming you're speaking from a position of ignorance, which is your only excuse.

• Members

'At least it was the army' is a pretty assinine thing to say. I'm assuming you're speaking from a position of ignorance, which is your only excuse.

I didn't read it as insulting to the army. I think he meant that a crazy dude with an M-16 would do alot less damage than a crazy dude in a bomber.:poke:

• Members

If there's no criminal record, there's nothing to catch. Thanks for assuming all army dudes are psychotic low lifes though. We appreciate it.

i am not making that assumption...however i was making the point that lowering standards for recruitment might have an effect like this...i think that being a soldier is a very difficult job, and requires a serious person with high standards of conduct...gang-bangers are not known for this

• Members

Aw man, all this rationality, I wanted to start a flame war ;)

Yeha, I know lots of former gang guys, trying to get out of the lifestyle, so they join the service to get away. Works most of the time. Lets see how this develops.

Gang membership is pervasive in certain neighborhoods. It just part of living there.

Archived