Sign in to follow this  
Dyller

Mixing thoughts?

I really like this mix, but it is too trebly... I re-mixed it, and it came out missing the "space" that this mix has. I turned the uke down a bit, but that resulted in a loss of the swingy feel of the chorus...grrrrr....upped the bass frequencies (no bass guitar, btw), and the whole thing sounded too indistinct.

Any knob-turnin, button-pushin, frequency-adjustin folks wanna help out?

Way Too Late, by The Willers

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/12738829

www.facebook.com/thewillerstxk

Recorded in my living room.

You have no bass instruments in the mix so there wont be any bass in the mix.

What you have frequency wise if pretty close for the instruments you have recorded.

The mix has hard panning and sound unnatureal to me because of that.

Work on making the mix sound great in mono first so all the parts can be clearly heard first,

Then worry about separating them in a stereo pan. With less instruments you should keep a tighter

stereo pan so it will sound bigger. Some of the left will come through the right, and some of the right will come through the left.

Hard panning is needed for instruments when you have drums in the center taking up alot of space.

Listent to the music as though you're hearing the music live.

Would a persons voice be in the center of a stage solo, and his two instrumentalists

way off on the far wings of a stage? Unlikely. Bring them in closer to support the singer.

You can alos work some magic with reverbs to add fill.

Copy a track from whats on the left, add a little reverb to the copied track

and pan it right.

Do just the opposite for what you have recorded on the right.

This will add side fill. you can adjust the copied tracks up until you have just enough.

Reverb usually has less high and low frequency. These reflected sound frequencies should add

what your inquiry says you think is missing. You can keep the original track frequencies

like you have them now, bright and direct. The difference would be the added and delayed

frequencies you get playing in different rooms. It makes the sound more complex while

giving the illusion of a live performance.

You can choose from many different reverbs. Picture in your mind what kind of a room

would be best and find it. I'd likely start with a smaller room or a plate reverb. Keep the trail

of the reverb shorter so it doesnt hang in the air too long. Your picking notes are short

so you mainy want to hear the first generation of reflection and have it die quickly after that.

Darken the reflection removing some of the highs and some of the bass so its more mid ranged

sounding. This will keep peoples attention on the direct sound. Then you can use some pre delay

between 1~6 miliseconds. This will add the time it takes for the direct sound to get across the room

and bounce off a wall. The more pre delay, the farther away the wall is.

When you get reverb on the copied track of the first instrument, that sounds good panned right,

save the reverb settings as a preset. Then just open that preset with the same settings for the

opposite sides copied track. Turn the volume of bothe tracks all the way down and adjust the tracks

up evenly so it can just be heard. You can pan it to fill in any dead air space you need.

You can also solo the reverb tracks and see if it sounds natureal. If the pre delay is off it wont be in sync

with the notes being picked. Adjust the pre delay so the notes are in sync with the tempo of the song and

not being chopped up by the delay time tempo.

Dont know if these suggestions will work, but they are worth investigating.

You could also try panning the dry parts closer to the center and see if that helps.

Right now if you visualize the singer playing an instrument it sounds like the with his voice center stage

and this instrument on the far side of the stage.

Yowza!!! I'm gonna copy and paste that to a black doc and save it for future reference!! I'm new to the whole thing, and this should be a great help!!!

I really like this mix, but it is too trebly... I re-mixed it, and it came out missing the "space" that this mix has. I turned the uke down a bit, but that resulted in a loss of the swingy feel of the chorus...grrrrr....upped the bass frequencies (no bass guitar, btw), and the whole thing sounded too indistinct.

Any knob-turnin, button-pushin, frequency-adjustin folks wanna help out?

Way Too Late, by The Willers

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/12738829

www.facebook.com/thewillerstxk

Recorded in my living room.

In addition to WRGKMC's many helpful thoughts, I'll address this as is... It sounds 'thin' not just because there's no bass guitar, string bass, or key bass, but, also because the one place where you could get a little more warmth and bottom in -- the acoustic guitar -- is rather submerged and a bit distant in the mix. A nice stand up bass would sound great, I suspect. But just getting the guitar in there a little more solidly (might require closer mic technique, sounds like there might be some ambiance built into the guitar track) might well get you '3/4' of the way there. ;) And that might well be enough.

PS, I rather liked the song overall, bass ish notwithstanding.

Hi. :)

I agree with Blue that bringing the acoustic up would help with the bottom end, if you adjust the EQ to enhance the bottom end some more. I respectfully disagree with WRGKMC in his view that you have all the bottom end you can have given your instruments. As someone who constantly struggles to find the fullest-yet-balanced sound I can with just one acoustic six-string dreadnought, I know there are much lower frequencies coming out of your acoustic than are coming across in this mix. If upping the bass made the guitar sound muddled, then you may need to lower the MID frequencies. That's really what this mix is. It's not really "trebly." It's really all mid frequency. Finally, I REALLY DIG THE SONG! :)

Right, I'll concur on that respectful disagreement. You're not going to get huge bottom with just a standard 6 string acoustic, but by both bringing it up in the mix (which I think would help give more of a solid, centered sound) and by warming it up on the bottom with a little EQ (within the realm of what's possible given your tracks), you can probably go a long way in the right direction.

But, of course, a nice, fat stand up bass... that would be sweet. ;)

You're right, hobo...there is a lot of bass in that acoustic...

it is played in Drop D, and my buddy's Takamine really booms, and he picks pretty firmly.

The trick is balancing it...I need the big thunder of that open D string during the verses, but during the chorus it gets too muddy...may run it thru a volume envelope.

Finally, if you really do like it, visit our facebook page and like us :) We only have this one original, but we are already recording others. You can also find two videos of us...one doing Wagon Wheel by OCMS, and one of Mr. Jones by Counting Crows.

We will have other vids up soon, if all goes as planned. Probably The Doobie Bros "blackwater".

Thanks hobo, b2b and wrgkmc...