Is it me, or...

Noise...

• Members

Does playing with a pick seem to let you play a bit less stiffly than with fingerstyle?

When I play fingerstyle, I always find myself standing a bit more still and keeping my arm a lot more steady. Yet, with pick playing I find that I move around a lot more and play a lot less stiffly.

Does anyone else find this as well, or is it just me? :confused:

• Members

it probably depends on which one you're more fluent in

Yup. I'm more comfortable with a pick too...but you wouldn't think it from how I move (which is basically not at all sometimes) I REALLY need to work on that...along with the rest of the band too. I find that if someone gets into it...it's much easier to feed off that energy. I try and get them going...but they just look at me like deer in headlights. It's not like we're all green here either...

Sorry about the rant.

• Members

Yup. I'm more comfortable with a pick too...but you wouldn't think it from how I move (which is basically not at all sometimes) I REALLY need to work on that...along with the rest of the band too. I find that if someone gets into it...it's much easier to feed off that energy. I try and get them going...but they just look at me like deer in headlights. It's not like we're all green here either...

Sorry about the rant.

From the show I saw, you had the most presence of anyone in the band. Just an observation.

:cop: Is this new? wtf?

• Members

That's what I was thinking it was - I started into music as a guitarist, so pick playing comes naturally. I've gotten good at fingerstyle, as it's really all I've done since getting a bass, but I'm still really stiff with it. The past few days I've started playing with a pick again and it really feels a lot more natural to me.

Will it just take some time to losen up with fingerstyle?

• Members

Will it just take some time to losen up with fingerstyle?

In my experience, yes. I started with a pick for the first seven years I played, then switched to fingerstyle for the last seven years. When I grab a pick now it feels so stiff and unnatural. Except when I have to play Rebel Yell, then it feels right.

• Members

I started as a guitarist too and am much more comfortable playing with a pick; much faster etc. Only thing is, you seem to lose a lot of that

"hit you in the gut thump" when you play with a pick. I've been trying all different sorts of EQ. & Compression, more power. amp etc. to get that thump. Can't quite get there playing with a pick, at least not to my satisfaction yet.

• Members

I have a problem with moving at all. I can walk around but jumping and really any other movement is limited.

With fingerstyle, I basically just stand still. But with a pick I can do whatever I want. Jumping around, walking, whatever.

Anyone have some exercises or something to help with loosening up while playing? Does it really just come down to practicing it?

• Members

I've played both ways since I was about 14 yrs. old.....I'm far more comfortable playing fingers now, and have pretty-much not used the pick at all unless someone calls out "Roundabout" at a rock jam I happen to be playing....usually to find out that the idiot that called it out doesn't really know the drum part or the guitar part, and it dies....:rolleyes:

• Members

My arm moves around a whole lot more when I play with a pick.

Same.

Though, I suck more than usual with a pick. :p But, I have different flows with either.

For instance, With a pick, I'm usually leaned back a bit more, where my back is curved backwards you know, and such.

And with fingers, I'm leaned forward a bit, and my shoulders hang differently.

I must say though, I prefer playing finger style. But it's what I started with, so it makes sense that I would.

:cop: = Scary.

• Members

I started as a guitarist too and am much more comfortable playing with a pick; much faster etc. Only thing is, you seem to lose a lot of that

"hit you in the gut thump" when you play with a pick. I've been trying all different sorts of EQ. & Compression, more power. amp etc. to get that thump. Can't quite get there playing with a pick, at least not to my satisfaction yet.

i dont know, i find a pick is only faster if your riding fast roots, like in punk music which really tires my fingers fast

Archived