2x10 vs 1x15?

davis1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Volume displacement is what matters, not surface area. Speakers operate as pistons.

I have 2 2x10s and a 1x15 and love them all. My 2x10s are designed to be full range and smooth. My 1x15 is designed to be a more limited frequency response with the same smoothness. I judge/evaluate speakers one at a time and not by the size of their drivers. However, it would be ignorant to ignore that most 1x15s have a very strong mid presence with little true low end and a very perceptible high end drop off due to some degree to their poor polar response. On the other hand, most 2x10s simply lack the excursion needed to deliver the lows at tremendous volume. In the end, I tend to like cabinets that are designed as full range 3-way systems or 2-way systems that lack a tweeter. Who really needs anything over 6 kHz anyway?
:)

"...would be ignorant to ignore..." -

only you would say something like that! :D

• Members

what? i always found the 2x10's to have a sound thats alot brighter and clearer then a 115, and the 115's to have a fuller, lower, bassier sound... every single one i tried was like that!

I guess that's how our ears are built different. In my experience, 2x10 cabs often offer midrange detail that's more pleasing to my ears with noticeably more punch. 1x15 cabs, again often, offer more frequency depth(as opposed to punch) and more pronounced mids by comparison.

• Members

i also think the 4x10's and SOME 8x10's sound brighter the the 115's..... as i like a really clear, bright, bell-like tone in my basses, i have no use for 1x15 cabs... but well, some might beg to differ, its just how they sound to me... also depends alot on the cabs, like... Gallien-Krueger Goldlines and Mesa Roadready 8x10s are really bright and Ampeg 8x10s have a really massive wall of bass, really fat...

• Members

I've used both (and when used together the whole world felt right)... I prefer 15's. all this junk about them not being as clear and having limited top-end response leaves me shaking my head. I played nothing but 15's for a long time and never had any problem with the top end being gone. I use a single 15 combo now, and it crushes the whole spectrum. I've got a 1/4" thick plate of steel with weatherstrip foam covering the tweeter because I hate the way tweeters sound in bass cabs. I like my tens without tweets too. actually, my favourite one was a GK that had no ports and no tweeter, that thing kicked some major booty (when it was on top of my 15...)

• Members

I've used both (and when used together the whole world felt right)... I prefer 15's. all this junk about them not being as clear and having limited top-end response leaves me shaking my head. I played nothing but 15's for a long time and never had any problem with the top end being gone. I use a single 15 combo now, and it crushes the whole spectrum. I've got a 1/4" thick plate of steel with weatherstrip foam covering the tweeter because I hate the way tweeters sound in bass cabs. I like my tens without tweets too. actually, my favourite one was a GK that had no ports and no tweeter, that thing kicked some major booty (when it was on top of my 15...)

I respect that you and many others don't require balanced/full range reproduction of your bass for your situation(s). Myself, and others simply prefer a full range reproduction of our instruments. Ever play unplugged in a quiet room. I want to hear that...my fingers on the strings. High frequency drivers give players like me that response.

Also, the midrange detail between 2x10 cabs and 1x15 cabs is different. :)

• Moderators

what? i always found the 2x10's to have a sound thats alot brighter and clearer then a 115, and the 115's to have a fuller, lower, bassier sound... every single one i tried was like that!

Don't let our confusion scare you off, keep sharing your experiences.

Is your experience with Precision basses that they are also fuller, lower and bassier?

Here is my imperfect analogy of the day:

P is to 1x15 as J is to 2x10.

• Moderators

What combo is it?

• Members

Don't let our confusion scare you off, keep sharing your experiences.

Is your experience with Precision basses that they are also fuller, lower and bassier?

Here is my imperfect analogy of the day:

P is to 1x15 as J is to 2x10.

that analogy is actually, at some point, correct

yeah, i do find the precision basses, talking about Fender, to have more low-end growl and more bass then a Jazz one, which has clearer and more defined sound to me...

one of my dreams is to have a 70's Fender Precision bass... the passive electronics and only 20 frets in them turn me a little off, but i still love that sound... its massive...theyre just too damn expensive these days!

• Moderators

yeah, i do find the precision basses, talking about Fender, to have more low-end growl and more bass then a Jazz one, which has clearer and more defined sound to me...

one of my dreams is to have a 70's Fender Precision bass... the passive electronics and only 20 frets in them turn me a little off, but i still love that sound... its massive...theyre just too damn expensive these days!

Ok, then it is a matter of semantics. In most cases, a Jazz bass has a stronger deeper, fuller bass output. However, a P has a noticeable low midrange bump that is perceived by many to be "bass". Same goes for most 15s.

• Members

What combo is it?

Yorkville BM200, from about 6+ years ago, when they were still blue. I love it now that the tweeter is covered. (I used to work in a metal fabrication job and had access to a water jet and a drill press....)

T. Alan, I have very nice reproduction of all parts, but I also don't like that 'new string' sound...... I have a very pleasing midrange sound that I get from my bass and active EQ, no matter what rig I'm using. Chances are the bass is going through the PA too (pretty much every gig I play uses full PA support) , so I can always trust there'll be that tweeter-ness in the house, no need to have it on stage too....

• Members

I'm starting to think you are a very clever little troll.. because thats pretty much the opposite of my experience with J and P type basses.

I stand to be corrected though.

Archived