So my dog has cancer...

ec437

• Members

Listen to what your vet says.

When they found a tumor in my dog "the size of a grapefruit" that had engulfed her spleen and metastasized to her liver, giving her jaundice, I asked the vet what my options were. She said there was an operation they could try, but that if it was worse than they feared, they'd euthanize her on the operating table. I said "So do you recommend that we proceed with that operation?" And she said "Well....you know your dog best."

When I heard that, I knew that she was trying to tell me to put her to sleep. If there had been any possibility of success, she would have said so. But they can't say "Put her down".

Maggie was a Springer Spaniel, a wonderful creature and a beautiful spirit, and I'm so grateful we got to walk together for a while. She was seven years old. The night I put her down was among the worst of my life. That was eight years ago and I miss her still.

I wish you peace.

• Members

That sucks man..

We've always had dogs, all my life.. My parents bred show Newfoundlands for a long long time, so at times we'd have 8 of em!

I'm also an only child so the dogs were always my 'brothers and sisters'! Man, I've seen so many of them go over the years.. It never gets easier..

Our last guy though, went out the backyard one night, lay down under his tree.. that was that..

Any dog we've had to put down though, we take em out to the park or beach, spend a nice day with em, nice dinner.. Let em go out on top you know, some vets may also come to your house to do it..

Sorry dude..

• Members

It's too bad that we treat our pets more humanely than our humans.

It should be the right of any person to choose euthanasia. Kevorkian's methods were flawed, but he is right on. Your life belongs to you, and so does your death.

if not, then who does it belong to?

• Members

It's too bad that we treat our pets more humanely than our humans.

It should be the right of any person to choose euthanasia. Kevorkian's methods were flawed, but he is right on. Your life belongs to you, and so does your death.

if not, then who does it belong to?

Very well worded, from someone sage who's had to consider the alternatives.

• Members

Wow. I went through the whole cancer thing with a dog, not fun. I'm sorry.
:cry:

Me too. Mine had large liver tumors because he was on steroids for most of his life. He was 12 when we had to put him to sleep.

I still miss that boy terribly. He was my right arm. :cry:

Best wishes to you.

Archived