OT: A Marine's flag, in ashes...

Thumper

• Members
Sure, when I was that age, I did PLENTY dumb stuff, but I got punished and/or had to make things right, just like these kids need to do. If it were me, I'd ship them off to Camp Lejeune and let them explain to some real, live, Semper Fi jarheads WHY they thought that was funny . . . .

ah 10-4 good buddy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah...but yah dont do it for the thill......big difference

You're right. There is a big difference.

Hunting for food=giving the animal at least a chance to beat you.

Buying steaks at the supermarket=getting it from someone who used planned slaughtering tactics to kill the animal so you don't have to do any work and gave the animal NO chance.

I don't condone trophy hunting, where people are not interested in the meat, but lumping all hunters into that category is just plain stupid. Hell, they were stocking the freezer.

• Members

You're right. There is a big difference.

Hunting for food=giving the animal at least a chance to beat you.

Buying steaks at the supermarket=getting it from someone who used planned slaughtering tactics to kill the animal so you don't have to do any work and gave the animal NO chance.

I don't condone trophy hunting, where people are not interested in the meat, but lumping all hunters into that category is just plain stupid. Hell, they were stocking the freezer.

Yeah, all things being considered hunting animals is probably actually much more humane than eating factory farmed stuff from McDonalds or the supermarket or whatever

• Members
dont ever say bad bout them mariine dudes.....they is sum mean mothers when they git mad................................

You're right. My dad retired as a master gunny. Did tours in Korea and Vietnam as a sniper attached to Recon. In between he taught sniper school. So I know this to be true.

We used to hunt together too.....deer and elk.....i don't think you'd want to call him a {censored}. At least if you were within 1.5 miles of him. ;)

• Members

My perception of this is that the intent was to burn a flag, not to slander a dead soldier. These kids probably didn't even know the whole back story of the flag, marine, blah blah etcetera. So, we can disagree on the matter of the flag burning, but I think it's unfair to paint these kids as intentionally, directly attacking the dead soldier or his father.

• Members

My perception of this is that the intent was to burn a flag, not to slander a dead soldier. These kids probably didn't even know the whole back story of the flag, marine, blah blah etcetera. So, we can disagree on the matter of the flag burning, but I think it's unfair to paint these kids as intentionally, directly attacking the dead soldier or his father.

i would have to agree. I doubt they knew about it, but if they did it's much much much worse.

• Members

No, he did it because he's a blood thirsty savage that likes to kill things. I had to plead with him to bring the meat home, he was going to leave the carcass on some old woman's doorstep and mount the head to the front of his high dollar sportscar and let it rot.

C7

• CMS Author

My perception of this is that the intent was to burn a flag, not to slander a dead soldier.

And that's because they were raised with no understanding of what the flag means to many Americans.

"Burn a flag" is exactly equivalent to "slander a dead soldier". In fact, it's worse by a degree of magnitude, that being the number of Americans who have died serving under that flag. Those dickweeds stomped on all those soldiers' memories.

• Moderators

A couple of deer a year can feed a family of 4 quite a few meals between the steaks, sausage and burgers the meat company turns it into. That's aside from the fact that the meat is leaner and more healthy for us, too. And right on. I can't condone trophy hunting. If they happen to bag the trophy and eat the meat, it's all good, though.

• Members
I have always had a love for animals.....i choose to love them....feed them....and watch them.....I stop my high dollar sports car if there is a turtle in the road.......I never enjoyed one moment of the war.....one thing it taught me through..killin ain"t neat...........AND NEITHER IS YOUR STEP-DADDY

This has got to be the funniest/dumbest thing I've read all day.

boogiebassbill, don't ever change.
:love:

Marcy Lord?
:poke:

• Members
No, he did it because he's a blood thirsty savage that likes to kill things. I had to plead with him to bring the meat home, he was going to leave the carcass on some old woman's doorstep and mount the head to the front of his high dollar sportscar and let it rot.

C7

:D

• Members

Burning a flag = freedom of expression.

Burning someone else's flag = arson, and should be punished accordingly. Especially if the flag means something to them.

Stupid kids. Sure, make a statement, get a flag and burn it. Countless have died to protect your right to do that.

Burn other people's property is a crime however. Especially if it has a special value to them.

• Members

Yeah my friend......funny but.......have ya ever had somebody tryin to kill you or your loveones.......????

I have never seen you produce a single post that didn't make me wonder if you are, in fact, a complete retard.

• Members

On the one hand, let me say that these kids are idiots.

On the other, I debate the wisdom of flying a flag with such high sentimental value as this one had. After some time, it would have eventually needed proper retirement, and would have met the same fate as the vandals that destroyed it gave it (albeit in a formal, respectful ceremony.) If I were to find myself in the same situation, such a flag would be in a display case in a place of honor, not outside.

• CMS Author

On the other, I debate the wisdom of flying a flag with such high sentimental value as this one had. After some time, it would have eventually needed proper retirement, and would have met the same fate as the vandals that destroyed it gave it (albeit in a formal, respectful ceremony.) If I were to find myself in the same situation, such a flag would be in a display case in a place of honor, not outside.

What greater place of honor for a flag than flying in front of your home? I have empathy for what he was doing flying that flag. He's grieving, and probably always will, but I'm sure this soon after his loss he felt the need to show the world, so to speak. I'd imagine he would eventually retire it to a display case, but now we'll never know.

• Moderators

The dad was displaying it in a place that had honor. He was proud of his son. Proud papa's show their boys off to the world. They don't keep them locked up for no one to see.

The way I see it is that you would like to debate that it's the victim's fault. Let's liken that to the scantily clad girl who must be asking to get raped.

• Members
And that's because they were raised with no understanding of what the flag means to many Americans.

"Burn a flag" is exactly equivalent to "slander a dead soldier". In fact, it's worse by a degree of magnitude, that being the number of Americans who have died serving under that flag. Those dickweeds stomped on all those soldiers' memories.

My God you're sooooooo old fashioned. It is cool to burn the US flag.

It doesn't symbolize anything, it's just a flag.

Nobody died serving that flag.

That's just silly. :rolleyes:

Archived