OT: A Marine's flag, in ashes...

Thumper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was having a good day until I read that.

I would hope that given the chance, the kids would come up with something together that would both honor the marine and his father, as well as tell the entire community how sorry and rediculously stupid they have been.

• Members
I just don't know what to say...

Flags flew the May day they buried Dale Peterson. They lined the streets of Burns, where hundreds watched, hands on hearts, as his coffin passed. One flag, in particular, made it to Dale's dad.

Greg Peterson, former sheriff of Harney County, went home to Redmond and hung the flag beside his front door. And there it flew, day and night, for the toddler he carried on his back into the Blue Mountains, for the boy he taught to fish the Malheur River, for the only son he sent to Iraq.

Sunday morning, as Greg Peterson left for church, he found the flag. Someone had torn it down, drenched it in lighter fluid and burned it. Ashes and the charred wooden flagpole lay scattered. "This was personal," he thought.

He walked back inside and called police.

Flags at nine other Redmond homes had also been torched overnight. A video camera at one home captured images of the culprits. On Tuesday, police arrested four teenagers, including three 17-year-old students at Redmond High School where Dale Peterson graduated in 2005.

That night, Greg Peterson sat at a friend's desk in Coos Bay where he traveled this week to train police officers. And in an open letter he began to type:

"I want you to know what that flag meant to me . . ."

"The flag you burned had flown over the United States Capitol. It was one of my son's goals to be a United States Marine. He put a lot of effort into it and graduated top of his class as a combat engineer. He also shot as an expert and his PT (physical training) score was 290. I am very proud of my son but words cannot express the so

rrow I feel from his death. Dale, like most men and women in our armed services, had the courage to put his life on the line for our country.

"I ask myself, what courage do you have, and your reason for burning our country's flag?"

As he wrote, his friend, Dennis Canaday, watched, angry. He'd long admired Peterson, who lost his 2000 re-election bid by fewer than 40 votes in part because he refused to campaign. Peterson is now a police training officer for the state.

"What happened to that inner voice that says, 'This guy is grieving, and we should let him be,' " Canaday wondered about the teenagers.

Lance Cpl. Peterson was not an angel, his dad says. But he knew he needed a diploma to get into the Marines. The only boy among three sisters, he worked hard and played hard, trailing behind the father who taught him to fish, hunt and drive a Ford pickup in the open spaces they called "the Last Frontier."

He was 20 and had been in Iraq less than a month when on April 23 his team stopped to investigate a roadside bomb in Anbar province. But another bomb exploded beneath their vehicle, killing Peterson and another Marine.

A day before, the young Peterson e-mailed his dad. The two were at that delicate stage where a man who leaves home and marries -- in this case to fellow Marine Regina Peterson -- begins seeing a parent as a friend.

"I think about him every day," his dad said Wednesday. "I think people pay lip service to our vets and the people who served this country in the military, and it's very frustrating to me."

The teenagers are accused of arson, abuse of venerated objects, reckless burning, reckless endangering, disorderly conduct and criminal mischief, said Redmond Police Capt. Brian McNaughton, but were "highly upset when they found out who the flag belonged to."

"I don't think they really knew what they were doing; they just did a stupid kid thing, not as any protest or against the United States or authority," McNaughton said. "They just went out and did one and thought it was funny and decided to go find some more and keep doing it."

Redmond High Principal Jon Bullock said all were saddened by the negative attention the incident would bring but "more importantly, the family of Dale Peterson is having to deal with not just the loss of a flag, but all the emotions that go with honoring their son." Bullock said he expects that people will come together and heal.

Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Ore., who had given Peterson the original flag, has arranged for a replacement.

But flag, or no, Greg Peterson will get up today and think of his son, who as a student at Redmond High wrote: "When I was growing up . . . I didn't like to be led around and told what to do by my peers. If they were going to do something illegal or damaging to a person's feelings or property, I had the willpower to stand up and leave."

Kathleen Blythe of The Oregonian research staff contributed to this report. Julie Sullivan: 503-221-8068;

YOYO THUMPER.....thanks for bringing that to light

• Members

whys everbody always auh pickin on me....oh charlie brown

You are the first person whose nearly every post makes me want to let loose a stream of insults against your intelligence, character, spelling, grammar, content and parentage...

Congratulations, you beat out such HCBF luminaries as Hawkhuff (the "old" HH, he's actually been a good guy lately) and GZeus...

• Members

Hey. It's freedom of speech and everyone is entitled to practice their freedom of speech.

Hell with the vandalism, it's a misdemeanor if they're ever caught. They got their message out loud and clear and that's all that matters in America today.

The flag means nothing it's only a piece of cloth that some wear on their asses, it has no real meaning to anyone, like the cross and mary.

That Goddamned flag symbolizes the aggressive attitude of the only threat to world peace. It represents tyrrany and terrorism. It represents those baby killing raping US Army and Marines. That flag represents the deaths of millions of innocent women and children and it represents that form of government that's a {censored}ing joke; 'democracy'. :rolleyes:

Maybe this will smarten up that guy that his son was fighting for the main evil of the world.

• Members
You are the first person whose nearly every post makes me want to let loose a stream of insults against your intelligence, character, spelling, grammar, content and parentage...

Congratulations, you beat out such HCBF luminaries as Hawkhuff (the "old" HH, he's actually been a good guy lately) and GZeus...

DUMBASS.......YA THINBK ITS REAL...............

• Members

You tryin' to provoke me......???

:D

• Members

Sure, when I was that age, I did PLENTY dumb stuff, but I got punished and/or had to make things right, just like these kids need to do. If it were me, I'd ship them off to Camp Lejeune and let them explain to some real, live, Semper Fi jarheads WHY they thought that was funny . . . .

• Members

I have always had a love for animals.....i choose to love them....feed them....and watch them.....I stop my high dollar sports car if there is a turtle in the road.......I never enjoyed one moment of the war.....one thing it taught me through..killin ain"t neat...........AND NEITHER IS YOUR STEP-DADDY

When's the last time you ate a hamburger or some steak or chicken marine?

Archived