how can i get my bass to stop humming?!?!

brake

• Members

It's a passive bass wired like a jazz. Whenever the tone knob is on there's a horrendous buzz, much worse than the normal single coil buzz - In fact, the single coil buzz goes away when I ground it (touch the strings/bridge/etc) but the other buzz is still there. I'm frustrated enough to just take it in and have them re-wire and re-pot the whole {censored}ing thing.

• Members

beat me to it:D

check if its grounded properly. does it still hum when you touch the strings/ bridge?

yes. like hell.

I opened it up and took a piece of extra wire I had and grounded every pot and connection to the bridge and still no dice. I haven't taken the pickups out to see if there is anything funky happening in there yet.

• Members

disconnect each pup and check the effect with one ..the other one

and of course two...are they matched pups..contra wound and reverse polarity...gosh this sounds like star trek..

the bridge leave till last...its a minor issue

and make sure your grounds are daisy chained off of one pot..to the jack

one last awful piece of information...

check the pole pieces to ground...if they leak..the outer ones usually are the culprits where the windings go round the bobbin and can touch and break down the insulation...then its over bar the swap out..

ps..fluo lights will make all sorts of funny effect noises on your pups

if you do swap out..go for barts they are cast iron dead quiet

• Moderators

disconnect each pup and check the effect with one ..the other one

and of course two...are they matched pups..contra wound and reverse polarity...gosh this sounds like star trek..

the bridge leave till last...its a minor issue

and make sure your grounds are daisy chained off of one pot..to the jack

one last awful piece of information...

check the pole pieces to ground...if they leak..the outer ones usually are the culprits where the windings go round the bobbin and can touch and break down the insulation...then its over bar the swap out..

ps..fluo lights will make all sorts of funny effect noises on your pups

if you do swap out..go for barts they are cast iron dead quiet

Good work!

Archived