Bass Shopping Connundrum

u6crash

• Members

Well, I think I've got it in my head that I want a bass and I hope to have some extra money soon from selling another guitar and working some overtime. Here's some options I've considered:

Used Peavey T-40: I've never played one, but they seem to get good reviews and they just look plain cool.

Frankenbass: Building my own with an original body. I'd probably wuss out and buy the routed body blank from Warmoth and a neck from Carvin or Mighty Mite. I'd probably go with P-Bass Quater Pounder pickups or something used and/or unique (maybe used pups from a Peavey T-40). I think if I do it right I'd spend less than $600. That's more than I want to spend, but at least I'd have a one of a kind bass to show for it.

SX P-Bass: I know these are hard to find, but for whatever reason I currently like the P body better than the J body and they do creep up on eBay now and again. I'd just have to be patient for a color combination I really liked. This would also be an economical option if I find I don't have as much time to play bass as I think I will (which is more than likely going to be the case I hate to say).

So..what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Check out http://chicago.craigslist.org/ find good used Fender!

I pickup used MIM Fender Precision with fender hard shell case for $200. mint condition, Installed badassII bridge, DiMarzio MODEL P DP122 bass pickup and it sounds and plays fantastic!!

I also bought new Yamaha BB614 with active pickups & eq and it is just all around versatile bass...easy to play and looks cool as all hell...

I have USA and MIM Jazz and recent buy MIM Precision which I upgraded and the quality of the USA fenders are littler better but you can do few upgrades on a used MIM and have great playing great sounding bass for just under $400. or less!

Archived