Sign in to follow this  
OverdrivenEL34s

soundproofing with sand based product?

While researching soundproofing methods for music room (for recording and band practices) came across this site. It doesn't appear its available in united states currently. A little hard to believe it really would be very effective.

http://www.acaraconcepts.com/ There is no STC ratings listed on site but under technical data they listed this info.

Airborne Sound Reduction Delta Rw = 36dB(-4 Ctr) EN ISO 717-1

Impact Sound Reduction Delta Lnw = 21dB EN ISO 717-2

Impact Sound Reduction Delta LnTw = 33.8dB EN ISO 717-2

Impact Sound Reduction Upto 65dB at high frequency EN ISO 717-2

Any thoughts on this, anyone use this or similar product? I just thought it was kinda of interesting as seemed quite different and a bit strange in that it uses sand as opossed to other similar intended use products (such as quiet rock, acoustiblock, mass loaded vinyl, etc).

You still have to use varying layers of material with air gaps beteween so one absorbtion layer is decoupled from the next.

The air barrier or soft material buffers one layer from directly causing the next to vibrate, like having a room inside a room.

Sheet rock separated by soft layers of foam and a well insulated wall and ceiling does wonders. I sound proofed my garage

making it into a studio and I can have marshall stacks blowing inside and you wouldnt hear it outside. Maybe a lottle low

wne thump from bass and kick which is the hardest thing to stop. No one materail can stop bass. It has to be many

layers of hard vs soft materials

It actually looks very effective for its thickness, looking at the data sheets and marketing description. You do need to consider the implications of its weight, about 40 lb per sq meter, especially if using as ceiling insulation. That means about 1000 pounds for a 15 by 18 foot floor or ceiling or wall surface. Also, the warning to store in a dry area makes me wonder how good its resistance to mold growth would be in intermittently damp applications like condensation from AC ducts or occasional leaks.