OT: Healthy "fast food"

RSBro

• Members

Ok just starting out, I haven't eaten fast food 2 weeks this coming Sunday, which is badass for me, and I'm going as long as I can w/out eating it.

So, I don't cook on the weekends cause I do every other night. What's "easy" but won't kill your goals?

I guess Subway is about the only way to go, or other sandwich type stuff? Wish we had a Jason's Deli or Boston Market close. Be way easier.

• Members

I may get flamed for this, but the Taco Bell regular taco isn't that bad for you. Two of those and a diet soda wouldn't be that bad.

They even have a menu where you can cut the fat from a lot of the other options they have.

I wish we had a Taco Cabana closer. They have better items that I know that don't have grease as a side order.

• Members

Bueno has a phrase for "without the fatty stuff" for all of their items. Its if you dont care about sodium, I had the tortilla soup light-style (no strips or cheese) and a grilled chicken soft taco and it was ~350 cal.

Since i'm on an 1800 cal diet, I have to look hard at what I eat.

Dickey's Turkey sandwich, oven potatoes and green beans is only 335 cal if you split the serving in half (which is a real portion - restaurants way overfeed us).

In fact, you can do well by splitting most portions in half. The upside to doing this is that your dollar goes twice as far. My Dickey's lunch works out to be ~$3/meal for real food. Not bad, IMO

• Members

Chipotle. All their ingredients are very fresh and healthy as long as you don't put cheese and sour cream on your burrito.

+1 I was about to make the same suggestion. I eat there all the time. Wahoos Veggie bowl is good too and alot of food to boot. Whole Foods has alot of good stuff. Just limit your fried food, sugar and dairy the best you can and you'll be good. That can be hard with fast food but there are a few places out there.

• Members

Chipotle. All their ingredients are very fresh and healthy as long as you don't put cheese and sour cream on your burrito.

And skip the tortilla, which has 400 calories itself. And the guac. Loaded with fat (good fat...but still).

• Members

Too bad the closest one is about 10 or 13 miles away.

I thought that was peanuts for Americans...

Over here an hour's drive is considered an epic journey. Then again when it takes a total of three hours to drive from one side of the island to the other, it would be :D

• Members

I think "healthy fast food" is a bit of an oxymoron. Sure, some stuff can be sort of healthy, but nothing beats a salad. There was a point in time where I would run a few miles, lift some weight, and eat a fresh grilled chicken salad. Chicken and rice was also another staple that we still eat all of the time. I was in the best shape of my life. I'll be getting back into that really soon...I think I'm going to try and finally take the challenge I've wanted my whole life. State Police SWAT team!

Keep in mind...having one cheat day a week is not a bad idea in the least. If you eat healthy the other 6 days a week...one day isn't going to totally mess you up in any way. If you feel bad about it, just eat reasonable...not crazy bad!

Once you get your cardio into shape, your metabolism is going to be awesome, which will help you a lot.

Just remember...if you put junk in, you'll get junk out!