539 days later...

Detox

• Members

...my 1969 LEFTY P-Bass finally returned from the refinisher's shop, sunburst again.

69P2.jpg

It was bad when I first got it, the body had been stripped and painted blue with a brush. The neck and headstock had been sanded down to bare wood, just about.

pbassincase.jpg

It was a long wait, but it plays and sounds great. No, it's not backwards.

• Members

It's a well-known shop in this neck of the woods, and the guy runs a school of luthiery there too. They told me it would take at least 6 months for them to get to it, due to a backlog of refin work, when I brought it there. I have other basses to play, so I let them take their time.

They also did a mild aging of the finish to match the orig. pickguard and hardware, because I didn't want the intact pieces messed with at all.

69P_checking.jpg

• Members

One question I've had mulling around my cerebral cortex (and pineal gland): how can one buy a CBS-era 60-70s P or J without playing it first?

I once owned a '63 J which I'd rate as good as my A bass Jade 4, but didn't {censored} start going seriously downhill around '66? When did things get better or acceptable?

Wondrin' Aloud...

• Members

One question I've had mulling around my cerebral cortex (and pineal gland): how can one buy a CBS-era 60-70s P or J without playing it first?

I once owned a '63 J which I'd rate as good as my A bass Jade 4, but didn't {censored} start going seriously downhill around '66? When did things get better or acceptable?

Wondrin' Aloud...

I can't speak for everyone, but I bought mine without playing it first, because:

A) It was in Mexico

B) The seller only wanted $1,000 for it

C) '60s P-Basses, lefty or otherwise, don't grow on trees

As far as the CBS bit goes, 1965 was the beginning of the CBS era, so mine clearly falls outside the "collectible" category, but hey, at the last car show I attended, one guy was pleased as he could be with his Volare "Road Runner".

• Members

I'm not a big fan of relic'ed finishes, but a shiny new coat of nitro on a 1969 bass wouldn't seem quite right.

That is a gorgeous refin, and one that would pass for original to boot!

Are all the parts and serial numbers otherwise original and intact?

If so, you've got yourself a real gem!

• Members

I'm not a big fan of relic'ed finishes, but a shiny new coat of nitro on a 1969 bass wouldn't seem quite right.

That is a gorgeous refin, and one that would pass for original to boot!

Are all the parts and serial numbers otherwise original and intact?

If so, you've got yourself a real gem!

The only thing that looks like it may have been replaced is the jack. Otherwise, it's all orig. Bryan took it apart when I brought it to him, and pointed out that the parts were intact.

Archived