WOT: The wussification of American children

misterhinkydink

• Moderators
Certainly. The public's perception has been influenced by an overactive and sensationalist news media. According to the US Justice Department's stats, fewer than 1 in 4 of child abduction cases are committed by strangers. 76% were committed by somebody the family knows, but you'd never know that by listening to the news. Statistically speaking, your kids are safer with strangers than they are around your friends and family members.

It's not just abductions. It's child predators, too. Since there are a few in the neighborhood, there are reasons many of us in the area keep close watch.;)

• Members
Your social security check is late!

Stuff cost more than it used to!

Young people use curse words!

Kids still go out and have fun. You folks are just too old to recognize it anymore.

(A very hearty)
:p
and maybe one of these:
:blah:

right on!

Are you dead... or are you just getting really old? :poke:

• Members
While I agree that you should keep score in youth events I don't think the only focus should be on winning. You should let all the kids play. Kids develop at different paces. How will a kid ever get any better if they make one mistake then the coach benches them for the rest of the season? They pay (well their parents pay
:p
) to be in the youth league so they can play a game, not to be told they aren't any good and watch others play. They will have plenty of time in high school to be in programs that are about wins and not fun.

I agree. Youth sports shouldn't be played to win. You should keep score, and there will be a winning team and a losing team, but the main priority should be for the coaches to make sure that every kid is playing and having a good time, no matter how good they are.

• Members

Get off the internets and go out and play.
:mad:

Superbad-354 posts

Mr. HD-4,500 posts

On a more serious note, I really don't see how kids today should be considered weak. I graduated with one girl who was my class valedictorian, and along with maintaining a 4.0 she held down a job, received private piano AND bassoon lessons, became a state-recognized pole vaulter, held down a job, was selected for every honor band every year for four years, held down a part time job, was a very capable part of the Speech and Mock Trial teams, and received a scholarship to Doane based on her pole vaulting skills. And I'm probably forgetting stuff! I don't think any "wussy" would be able to accomplish half of that!

• Members

Ypu know one thing i notice here now, yeah we used to get into fights as kids/teens a bit, people would give each other a bit of a kicking, blood noses, blackeyes.. No real dramas..

But I see some of the kids now.. {censored}in ell.. stabbings, a kid had his throat slashed by a gang of 10, one kid had his head pounded repeatedly into concrete (he died), a current trend where gangs of kids will pick out a random person in a crowd or on public transport and beat them unconscious, a group of 6 raped a mentally retarded girl pissed on her and filmed it..

{censored}, these {censored}ers end up in court they get a slap on the wrist because 'jail time or a charge will affect their future'.. WTF?!!

• Members
:idea:
We could start a 9-14 year old UFC.

That's entertainment, baby.

You know what, though? Bring on the passive aggressive little pricks, I say. Because when I'm 55 I won't have to worry about some milquetoast, mealy-mouthed momma's boy coming in and stealing my job.:idea:

I'm so accident prone, and was so as a kid, that I'm lucky I'm not in a wheelchair. I listed a bunch of my injuries on eBassist once, and even I was surprised after I'd compiled them. :D
C7

• Members
I'm so accident prone, and was so as a kid, that I'm lucky I'm not in a wheelchair. I listed a bunch of my injuries on eBassist once, and even I was surprised after I'd compiled them.
:D
C7

Yeah, but several of those "accidents" came after you "accidently" got amazingly blitzed :D

• Members
That's entertainment, baby.

You know what, though? Bring on the passive aggressive little pricks, I say. Because when I'm 55 I won't have to worry about some milquetoast, mealy-mouthed momma's boy coming in and stealing my job.
:idea:

I'm so accident prone, and was so as a kid, that I'm lucky I'm not in a wheelchair. I listed a bunch of my injuries on eBassist once, and even I was surprised after I'd compiled them.
C7

I did earlier in the thread and that's not even half of it. We used to {censored} around so much. Broken fingers and toes didn't even slow us down. Cuts and scrapes got totally ignored. I've got to careful with my fingers now though. I figure that there's 5 important fingers and 5 fingers I like to have but could do without for a week or 2 while they're wrapped in tape.

• Members
I did earlier in the thread and that's not even half of it. We used to {censored} around so much. Broken fingers and toes didn't even slow us down. Cuts and scrapes got totally ignored. I've got to careful with my fingers now though. I figure that there's 5 important fingers and 5 fingers I like to have but could do without for a week or 2 while they're wrapped in tape.

A good portion of my injuries came at the hand of my older brother and his friends. I was 4 years younger, but I wanted to roll with the big kids, so they'd let me. As long as I'd get into the shopping cart and let them push me down the hill. Or not tell my mom when they used the brakes off of my bike on a converted yard buggy, causing me to crash dozens of times before my dad got wise. Or be the guinea pig on the ghetto zipline they built after watching Rambo.:D
C7

• Members
A good portion of my injuries came at the hand of my older brother and his friends. I was 4 years younger, but I wanted to roll with the big kids, so they'd let me. As long as I'd get into the shopping cart and let them push me down the hill. Or not tell my mom when they used the brakes off of my bike on a converted yard buggy, causing me to crash dozens of times before my dad got wise. Or be the guinea pig on the ghetto zipline they built after watching Rambo.
C7

Damn bastards. I've always wanted a zip line.

• Members
Dude, have you ever met a 8 year old with a closed-head injury? My mother's worked with them (and with adults who've been closed-head since they were kids)...

There's
"bah, it's just a scrape, walk it off"
and there's
"I don't want my kid to only be able to remember the last four minutes...for the next sixty years"

If you don't want your kid to wear pads, that's one thing, I'd actually disagree (since pads have prevented me from breaking a wrist), but the worst that you're doing to your kid is slightly increasing the risk of knee/elbow/wrist problems when he gets older, I know plenty of skaters who don't wear them and are absolutely fine.

Helmets though, they can prevent serious neurological damage. That's a big deal. I'm not kidding, if you've never interacted with a kid (or anyone for that matter) with a closed head injury, you should, it will likely change your perspective on helmets in a split-second.

ten four on that good buddy........also roll bars and a fireretardant canister you can reach while your still buckled in............I've been there.....happens fast.....

• Members

ten four on that good buddy........also roll bars and a fireretardant canister you can reach while your still buckled in............I've been there.....happens fast.....

Rollbars on a mountain bike...yeah...

So...closed head injury is what made you like you are, is it?

Archived