Ubuntu 7.10 upgrade - lost half my interenet

badmotor

• Members

I know there's a few users in here.

just upgraded to 7.10 from 7.04. I can browse the web fine, but cannot send/receive emails, or download any updates/applications using Add/remove. It just times out each time.

I even tried sudo apt get, and it timed out.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

• Members

Not to my knowledge, I think you have to install that separately if you want one. Mine is built into my router.

Ubuntu doesn't install a firewall by default because it doesn't listen on any ports unless you run server-type services.

A side note for the Windows users in the crowd - a router firewall is pretty much useless as although it will stop the nasties coming in (but so will having your PC on a private network) it doesn't do anything about nasties that originate from your machine. If your machine is pwned by viruses, spyware, a trojan (or for Linux users, a rootkit) you really need something to stop the outbound nasties and a router-based firewall won't do that.

• Members

Ha! For anyone interested, or if you have the same problem, I did this, and it solved it:

https://www.opendns.com/start?device=ubuntu#step1

Thanks to the Ubuntu forums.
:wave:

Dude, teh Ubuntu forums rule. I've solved every issue to date...minus one game I can't get running...but that's a small issue. I just got fonts installing and working properly! :D

Archived