not sure I'm happy with my J (pickup suggestions)

GRANKOR

• Members

a couple of months ago I bought a 75 reissue Jazz Bass. I love the way it looks and plays, but I'm not sure about the sound... It doesn't sound like my P!! Now I know a Jazz doesn't sound like a P, but it's too clacky and bright. What pickups would you recommend for a fatter sound? Got to be passive, that's the only stipulation

• Members

Closest I have to a jazz bass has a set of Nordstrand NJ5S split coil jazz pups, and it has a really nice, deep full tone. It's got an Audere preamp, but even in bypass the bass sounds really full. The woods are part of that too, and it's got a body of Black Limba with a top of quilt Maple on top of a layer of Ebony. Not your standard jazz bass construction! Anyway, I also have a Nord NJ5 bridge pup on my P/J bass, and it sounds a little different. Nordstrand pups seem to have a slightly vintage tone flavor to them, but also don't color your bass very much. If your bass has a good tone it will come through, but if it's tone is a little weak that will come through as well.

• Members

Closest I have to a jazz bass has a set of Nordstrand NJ5S split coil jazz pups, and it has a really nice, deep full tone. It's got an Audere preamp, but even in bypass the bass sounds really full. The woods are part of that too, and it's got a body of Black Limba with a top of quilt Maple on top of a layer of Ebony. Not your standard jazz bass construction! Anyway, I also have a Nord NJ5 bridge pup on my P/J bass, and it sounds a little different. Nordstrand pups seem to have a slightly vintage tone flavor to them, but also don't color your bass very much. If your bass has a good tone it will come through, but if it's tone is a little weak that will come through as well.

never played or heard those but people have been talking wonders about them, so they must kick ass as well!

yeah, the quarters pounds are good... but check out all you can, do some research on them, etc... you'll feel like you have another instrument when you have new pickups in it :cool:

• Members

I really dislike the feel of flats

I found them a little odd at first, but I really enjoy them personally.

They'd definitely give you less clack and a fuller tone, cheaper and less drastic than changing a pickup. But if you can't stand them then that's that.

I don't have much experience with replacement jazz pups, but good luck with it.

• Members

haha, I want to avoid batteries. I'll check out those hot stacks. Are the Quarter Pounders good? I know the P version sounds huge but I've never used the J ones

Yeah, they're great, I've got them in my new SX. BUT if you want a P sound, get the hot stacks.

Archived