Looking for Alembic style pu's for my Kawai...

thom

• Members

I'm desperately looking for Alembic AXY or MXY pick-ups to replace the stock electronics in my Kawai bass.

Actually, similar sounding rip-of pickups would even be better, 'cause I can't blow that kinda money on a fairly cheap bass.

The bass just feels to good to ditch though, I just HAVE to find Alembic Stanely Clark-like sounding pu's to fatten up my tone. Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Members

If you can't spring for the real thing, then EMG's or the Duncan Pro-Actives are probably the next best thing.

If you're looking to "fatten up" your tone, Alembic may not be the best choice-they aren't about thick/fat sounds. They're very much a clear, cutting pickup, especially with the Alembic electronics.

What don't you like about the tone of the Kawai?

• Members

If you can't spring for the real thing, then EMG's or the Duncan Pro-Actives are probably the next best thing.

If you're looking to "fatten up" your tone, Alembic may not be the best choice-they aren't about thick/fat sounds. They're very much a clear, cutting pickup, especially with the Alembic electronics.

What don't you like about the tone of the Kawai?

What I don't like about my Kawai...That it's not an Alembic.

It sounds a bit thin a weak compaired to that typical Stanmey Clarke sound. I know what Alembics sound like, I've been obsessed by 'em for as long as I can remember. Not really "obsessed ofcourse", but just trust me if I tell you that I can hear the difference between my kawai and an Alembic Stanley Clarke signature bass. There's just nog enough "punch" in the stock pu's, and they lack bottom end.

I'm not saying the cheap kawai feels as nice as an alembic, but it still feels nice, plays great...And for the money it may be the closest I can get to the real thing. So that's why I wanna try a pu upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.

• Members

i had one of those kawai alembic knockoffs...wonderful bass...but the pups are just p-bass style pups with three-way active preamps...so, the tone is still mostly just like a p with 2 pups..

but because they are giant humbucker looking things, you could put all sorts of things in there...MM's, darkstars...

• Members

Tell me if I dreamt but I'm pretty that even a couple years ago you could still buy Alembic pickups from their online shop.

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore though.

If you can't find the real thing, Status will be the nearest I can think of.

This guy is selling some but I don't know if the page is up to date :

http://www.chrismiller.us/sale/sale.htm

Archived