Free weights or Machine weights....

acmaddox0825

• Members

1st of let me say hi to everyone:wave:. i havent been on here in a while (and i only have a while on here now!) my music has really been taking off. last time i was on here i was staying with my folks,but now i have my own place, a nice little studio, and a car that is under 5 years old (YAY!) anyways, i have some spare cash, and i have been doing some weight training ( freeweights) at a friends house, i have a bar and some weights at the crib rite now but i am looking to get something a little more elaborate; so my question is should i get free weights or a weight machine. personally i am leaning twoards a weight machine because its all inclusive, compact and its safer for me to work out by myself....:blah: but i dont know anything so um......edumacate me!:)

• Members

Free weights work adjacent muscles as well as primary muscles. i.e. free weights don't limit the range of motion of your workout. Most people prefer free weights once they get comfortable. If you're totally new, you may want to build up some strength by using machines, but you'll eventually want to move to free weights as you'll feel limited.

Welcome back, too. :wave:

• Members

Free weights work adjacent muscles as well as primary muscles. i.e. free weights don't limit the range of motion of your workout. Most people prefer free weights once they get comfortable. If you're totally new, you may want to build up some strength by using machines, but you'll eventually want to move to free weights as you'll feel limited.

Welcome back, too.
:wave:

+1 ...all points. :)

• Members

I HATE machines with passion. Free weights are much better imo.

Also, don't be a dumbass by doing squats on a smith machine.

Here is some other advice

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/9-least-effective-exercises

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=MachinesVsFreeWeights

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginnerWorkoutPrograms

Bodybuilding.com is the greatest website ever

welcome back :wave:

• Members

I've almost moved completely to free weights. I used to make my rounds on the machines at the gym, but like rummy said, free weights work adjacent muscles and require balance and coordination, so its an all around better workout. All you need is an adjustable incline bench and a few assorted dumbbells and you have a multitude of workouts you can do.

• Members

I always used free weights when I played rugby to a decent level.

Now I only have 45 min at lunchtime in the gym at work I use machines for speed and convenience, and because I don't need/want to bulk up. Both approaches have benefits - free weights are the way to do it if you can though.

• Members

Free weights also work stabilizer muscles that machines would not effect. Dumbbells really are the way to go and you can get away with lifting without a spotter for most exercises.

checks anatomy and physiology book to find the "stabilizer" muscle

:D

• Members

My brother sells weight equipment to pro teams, the Olympic committee and the US Navy. www.healthandfitnessohio.com

You can also get more damage to your body with free weights. My brother was 3rd in the nation NCAA power lifting super heavyweight. He needs both shoulders replaced and has a bad back.

I'd use a machine for sure.

• Members

My brother sells weight equipment to pro teams, the Olympic committee and the US Navy.
www.healthandfitnessohio.com

You can also get more damage to your body with free weights. My brother was 3rd in the nation NCAA power lifting super heavyweight. He needs both shoulders replaced and has a bad back.

I'd use a machine for sure.

Your brother could just as easily have injured himself if his competing had involved machines. He was pushing himself to an extreme against his competition. Context is important.

You can injure yourself just as easily (maybe even easier) with a machine. People think they're safer and attempt heavier weights. Then they get in trouble. Then they go to the E.R.

Archived