OT: SoCal Fire

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Man we are just gettin worked here in Southern California. Its not too close to me, but at the beginning of the day, there were 13 people at work (normally 40), now its down to 7. A few of my firends areas are completely evacuated. Air is a nice yellow, and is bad to breathe, and everything smells like burning.

4 years ago it was the same thing. Almost to the date too.

www.nbcsandiego.com

• Members

yeah , big mess , very sad . There are some big ass fires raging , did you see 60 min. last night ?

No, but I have seen (pretty sure) that one before. One of my professors was touching on that right before the huge fire 4 years ago. Sucks.

Its always comforting to click open the internet explorer, and the first thing that I see on the first page opened is "Huge fire in socal 0% contained."

• Members

So here's the deal. Houses in Southern California are very expensive, many times the national average. Then I bet insurance is sky high, between earthquakes, mudslides, and these damn fires.

Is anyone installing those house sprinkler systems (on the outside) like they have now in Colorado, or is the water use to large to not be prohibited?

• Members

So here's the deal. Houses in Southern California are very expensive, many times the national average. Then I bet insurance is sky high, between earthquakes, mudslides, and these damn fires.

Is anyone installing those house sprinkler systems (on the outside) like they have now in Colorado, or is the water use to large to not be prohibited?

Those sprinkler systems are a scam. There's no way a well can supply enough water to stop a raging inferno from consuming a woodframe structure. It's so {censored}ing hot by the time a tree-borne wildfire reaches the property line that all that comes out of the heads is steam.:freak:

Alot of jurisdictions here are requiring in-house sprinklers on new constructions that are more than a certain distance from the nearest fire station, though, and that makes alot more sense.

C7

• Members

They've evacuated about 250,000 ppl already. Last I checked a total of 62 sq miles countryside is on fire. There's one about 10 miles from my house. Under a Blood Red Sky here.

They closed Interstate 15 in San Diego just when I was on it @ 0500 today. I went ahead and just drove home (Riverside Co) and phoned it in (it's nice to be a Senior Chief in the Navy).

• Members

My band was going to start recording a demo this afternoon, but we decided to postpone since the guy's house at which we are doing the recording is just up the street from the Irvine fire.

Yeah, that's a pretty good reason. :D

We had some hellacious fires in CO a few years ago, the largest one almost reached a heavily populated area. It was started by a volunteer firefighter; she wanted to start a fire and put it out herself, and be seen as a hero.

The past couple of fire seasons have been pretty mellow.

Those Santa Ana winds are a mother{censored}er. They suck all the moisture out of everything, then all it takes is one cigarette...

C7

• Members

Yeah, that's a pretty good reason.
:D

We had some hellacious fires in CO a few years ago, the largest one almost reached a heavily populated area. It was started by a volunteer firefighter; she wanted to start a fire and put it out herself, and be seen as a hero.

The past couple of fire seasons have been pretty mellow.

Those Santa Ana winds are a mother{censored}er. They suck all the moisture out of everything, then all it takes is one cigarette...

C7

"It was started by a volunteer firefighter"

sadly not the first time either .

Archived