The Avenged Sevenfold Appreciation Thread

RSBro

• Members

I don't care what anyone says, these guys can flat out play.

I'm a total sucker for great arrangements and wicked dual-lead playing w/out it sounding obnoxious and out of place.

I'd heard "Bat Country" before, but I went and got "City of Evil" last Saturday and haven't turned off that CD yet. Their self-titled major label follow up comes out on 10/30. I've heard their first 2 albums are more hardcore/metal, so I'll be getting those as well.

Either both or one of the guitarists studied at the Musician's Institute, and you can tell. It's not wankery at all. Every solo, single or double tracked, fits perfectly into the song, and everything doesn't just stop to say "Ok, now we're featuring guitar" which is prevalent in most songs w/ solos of any kind.

Plus, Johnny Christ is no slouch in the pocket, and you can actually hear him in the mix which is amazing. It may be a little poppy for some, but they mostly stick to the hardcore stuff.
I haven't heard a new band that I enjoy this much in a LONG time.

And- from what YouTube vids I've seen, they can actually do it live, and WELL, which is surprising. Even guys like Shadows Fall and Mastodon don't recreate the album's tightness like A7X.

• Members
Old {censored} is stacks better than their new {censored}.

Still solid, I'll give it a thumb
:thu:

That's what I've heard. With the release of "City of Evil", apparently there was a pretty big split from old fans. But I was the same way with Incubus. I haven't been a fan since "Crow Left..." and Dirk/Alex quit.

Do you know the names of their first two albums?

• Members

I saw them live after City of Evil came out, fantastic show! It was at Almost Acoustic Christmas so they all had on Santa Hat's, there was fog everywhere, lots of standing on pedastals with guitar cock stances, and best of all; stripper's on stage for "Bat Country."

Also, their fans are totally nuts. Here is some A7X chich at this party I threw...
img1251be9.th.jpg

• Members
I saw them live after City of Evil came out, fantastic show! It was at Almost Acoustic Christmas so they all had on Santa Hat's, there was fog everywhere, lots of standing on pedastals with guitar cock stances, and best of all; stripper's on stage for "Bat Country."

Also, their fans are totally nuts. Here is some A7X chich at this party I threw...

img1251be9.th.jpg

They're playing in Houston next month. I really want to go, although I think I'm seeing Silverchair that same night! I gotta check, cause I've heard the show is awesome.

• Members
That's what I've heard. With the release of "City of Evil", apparently there was a pretty big split from old fans.

They "sold out" and went "more metal than hardcore." :freak:

I like. Not :love: but I'll give the album a spin from time to time.

• Members
They "sold out" and went "more metal than hardcore."
:freak:

I like. Not
:love:
but I'll give the album a spin from time to time.

Ha yeah that's about what I've read! Who cares- it's still great stuff. But I don't yet have the old stuff to compare it to, just yet. :)

• Members

I like how their guitar solos are played in harmony/unison. Very refreshing for newer bands. Reminds me of Thin Lizzy or Racer X.

Yeah me too. That's a big plus for me, and the fact again they pull it off correctly live, is huge. Shadows Fall and In Flames can't even say that, most of the time which was disappointing.

• Members
I've seen both bands and would recommend Avenged Sevenfold over Silverchair.

Well I've only wanted to see Silverchair since I was in 6th grade, about. :) They hardly ever tour the US, so it's a big deal. I can see A7X for a while still to come, I'd think.

• Members
I like how their guitar solos are played in harmony/unison. Very refreshing for newer bands. Reminds me of Thin Lizzy or Racer X.

+10 :thu:

I don't know much more about them except 'Bat Country' but, damn that smokes! It just WORKS!

• Members

I loooove how the Revs drums are recorded in City of Evil. His snares are just killer sounding in all the songs.

I agree. Everything on that album is mixed perfectly for that style. Need to check out who their engineer was.

Andy Wallace is doing their new one.

• Members

Yep, great band for sure imo. I got into them post City of Evil but really that's their best work to me anyway. Waking the Fallen is solid too tho. But yea, I saw them 4 times in one year actually- starting with Warped Tour 2005 and ending with Ozzfest 2006. Great show that seemed to get better each time I saw them- big fan of the guitar work, plus they have a good mix so each instruments stand out. The new self titled should be interesting in terms of what direction they are going after City of Evil...

• Members

I helped do monitors for them at the Carling Academy Liverpool a couple of weeks ago. One of their pre-album release shows.

They were tight, but took bloody ages to soundcheck. Didn't really meet the band, but their crew were all cool. From my position onstage I could mostly hear just bass and drums. Johnny Christ's GKs sound great!

They're an interesting band, solid live, might go see them again when they do the main tour. :thu:

Archived