Question about effects

Flow7

• Members

Hey I got a question about effects pedals.

I'm looking to buy a multi effects pedal for my bass. Would i be able to plug my electric guitar into the pedal or would it ruin it? Also, does plugging a bass into a guitar wah pedal ruin it?

• Members

Nope, you won't ruin anything.

Would you get a good sound and tone with a guitar though? That's another matter. I think perhaps, if you spend some time and tweak a bit.

If you're looking for reccomendations, a Line6 Pod X3 is made for both bass and guitar, so if you play both, that's a lot of value for money.

• Members

no

What he said.

If you're looking for a multi FX...check out the Boss GT-6B, the POD XTL, or the new POD X3L...those are regarded as the best.

All effects are interchangeable between guitar and bass. Some might not sound as good on the other, but you will not hurt them in any way.

• Members

i want to make my whole pedalboard out of single effects... i know its hard, and expensive, and im very far from being rich or anything... but it is worth it, trust me... sounds so much better if you get the right pedals....

+1. I'll post a shot of my board when I take some new pics...it's pretty sweet.

• Members

Nothing will get ruined, but a guitar won't sound too hot probably. Some pedals have a choice of bass or guitar input, such as Boss Flangers/Auto Wah's. If you want to use both guitar and bass, you may be better buying separates than a multi effects processor (although I haven't looked into Mytola's Pod X3 suggestion).

• Members

What he said.

If you're looking for a multi FX...check out the Boss GT-6B, the POD XTL, or the new POD X3L...

I'm going to throw Boss ME50B in the ring as well.

Great effects, superb ease of use. If you don't need all the modelling crap from the GTB-6B then its the way to go, in my opinion.

I've used mine with electric and acoustic guitars, through my bass rig, and I've gotten some sweet tones out of it.

• Members

if you really must... just get a cheap zoom pedal for effects (one you can turn on and off)... and save up, and find out the effect pedals in it and then go and buy the single effects for the effects you really liked... its totally worth it.... next summer im going to work mostly only to get my pedalboard the way i want it... im actually trying to find a night job right now, but i cant seem to find one.... oh well... its easier in summer...

• Members

What he said.

If you're looking for a multi FX...check out the Boss GT-6B, the POD XTL, or the new POD X3L...those are regarded as the best.

All effects are interchangeable between guitar and bass. Some might not sound as good on the other, but you will not hurt them in any way.

+1 I have a PODxt for guitar, and some settings sound amazing with the bass. I am not paying $99 for that bass pack. Although, my Pod could use some bass cab options... :

• Members

If you don't need all the modelling crap from the GTB-6B then its the way to go, in my opinion.

FWIW, the GT-6B's modeling "crap" sounds pretty damn good to me. With the built-in DI it makes for a great way to run direct to the board without having to lug your amp and cab along.

• Members

+1 I have a PODxt for guitar, and some settings sound amazing with the bass. I am not paying $99 for that bass pack. Although, my Pod could use some bass cab options... :

I though about getting it as well, but decided that it wasn't worth it. I was thinking about trading in my XT towards getting a new X3 when they settle down in price, but I don't use it anyways...so what would be the point? Just because?

• Members

FWIW, the GT-6B's modeling "crap" sounds pretty damn good to me. With the built-in DI it makes for a great way to run direct to the board without having to lug your amp and cab along.

:D

I don't doubt it for a second. Perhaps crap was the wrong word, if you feel the need for the modeling its great, it does nothing for me. I've tried it before, but prefer to just use my amp.

The DI is handy too, but I use other DIs.

It really goes down to what you're looking for. The GT-6B is a great board, but I simply want to be able to play around with effects, dial in tones on the fly, and keep it as straightforward as possible. The ME-50B is perfect for that.

Archived