WHO TOUGHT YA TO PLAY A BASS??????

boogiebassbill

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, but I learned SOOOO much from this process of "slow" discovery. There used to be a radio show called "Metal Shop" that played all sorts of metal/hard rock I'd learned heard of before e.g. Armored Saint, Raven, Kix, etc. It was 1984---so bear in mind we didn't even have MTV in our small town yet. I would tape the shows and try to learn the songs.

• Members
Armored Saint, Raven, Kix, etc.

Ahhh.....Armored Saint!! That brings back memories!! A band I played with in the 80's opened for them at The Alrosa Villa here in Columbus. Probaby one of the biggest crowds they ever had. Here's another couple names from the past, how 'bout Keel, or Krokus??:evil:

Mr. Matt:thu:

• Members

i was a follow on from
clarinet
oboe
saxes
Bb brass bass

i could read music and had listened to many hours of classical music
played orchestras and military bands

it only meant i had to learn the fret positions and some basic structure theory

i am still learning after 12 years

• Members

I received formal lessons on trombone(bass clef) and piano for several years. I also took music in college. I learned the fretboard from hanging out with my area's best guitar instructors. I learned rhythm from hanging out with my area's best performing drummers. After all that, bass guitar kinda came natural to me.

• Members

My older brother showed me some blues scales on my Rickenbacker 4000 bass and that got me learning my way around the neck, and then I just played along with Beatles, The Who, Led Zep, and Cheap Trick LPs to learn riffs and play along with a "band."

Then playing in high school Jazz band and local rock bands got me to play at a new level.

Still learnin'...

• Members
My older brother showed me some blues scales on my Rickenbacker 4000 bass and that got me learning my way around the neck, and then I just played along with Beatles, The Who, Led Zep, and Cheap Trick LPs to learn riffs and play along with a "band."

Then playing in high school Jazz band and local rock bands got me to play at a new level.

Still learnin'...

rock on mah man

• Members

I picked up bass on my own, and taught myself until early 2006. I took lessons from a guitarist (:freak: ) for seven or eight months, and that was good enough to get me into the Ohio U jazz band when I got to school. I've been playing in it since, and teaching myself since.

Archived