WHO TOUGHT YA TO PLAY A BASS??????

boogiebassbill

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im more or less self instructed since 16 years old....it shows....haha

Same here, but I had structured lessons in a couple of other instruments starting when I was 6 years old, so it was easy to apply the teaching methods to the new instrument....but I can say that I am definitely self-taught on all the bass that I play....

• Members

i had lessons for about 3/5 months... from then on, i just taught myself... all that i learned (like 99%) was with myself and jamming... i developed my finger stamina and ear and all that just playing myself... mostly cose there arent any bass teachers in here, just guitar playing assholes thinking the bass is just a guitar with 4 strings and is only meant to go along with guitar, so they just try to teach along those lines... WRONG!!!

ive been playing for more then 2 years now...

• Members

I found bass by accident. In 12th grade, I used to sneak out of class early and give a buddy of mine a ride home on my way home. Well, one time, he invited me in to his house asking me if I wanted to check out his bass guitar. I went in, thinking to myself, who would want to play that boring instrument?? I picked it up, and picked a few notes on it and noticed it sounded a lot like "The Camera Eye" by Rush (I'm a huge Rush fan). I pretty much bought me my own bass the next day. The funniest thing is, this guy who pretty much introduced me to the bass, lost his position in a very good local band a few months later..........to me!!!!!! lol I stole his job in the band. Wasn't really trying to steal his job but ended up that way! I guess the drummer and gtr. player had the same interest in music as I did, and was digging how I was progressing on the bass, so they asked me to join. Needless to say, the "friend" I took the place of never spoke to me again to this day. :cry:

Mr. Matt
P.S. sounds like a sappy movie doesn't it???:p

• Members
i had lessons for about 3/5 months... from then on, i just taught myself... all that i learned (like 99%) was with myself and jamming... i developed my finger stamina and ear and all that just playing myself... mostly cose there arent any bass teachers in here, just guitar playing assholes thinking the bass is just a guitar with 4 strings and is only meant to go along with guitar, so they just try to teach along those lines... WRONG!!!

ive been playing for more then 2 years now...

really???????? you must really wanna do it.......

• Members
I took guitar lessons for a long time, so I was able to take a lot of that knowledge and put it to use on the bass. It made the transition much easier. So far I'm self taught on bass, if you don't include videos and books. I really want to take lessons though...

son...ya took the right pass

• Members

Mel Bay book and Louis Johnston cassette tape/booklet.

But, to be honest, I never really "learned" much or nothing made sense until GnR's Appetite for Destruction and Skid Row's debut album came out. I knew those albums frontwards, backwards, sideways, in reverse... I spent HOURS in my bedroom learning all the songs. It took me a week to figure out AFD was in Eb!! hehehehe After that, all songs just made sense and I could learn a song relatively easily. My technique sucked for years, but I could play most songs. :thu:

All in all, I'm self-taught. But I took inspiration/knowledge from a variety of places. I used to skip art and go to jazz band class. I picked up a lot just from listening to the instructor about chords, transitions, key changes, etc.

• Members
I spent HOURS in my bedroom learning all the songs. It took me a week to figure out AFD was in Eb!! hehehehe

That's a frustrating lesson to learn. Nothing like hunting for hours for a note you don't have. :( Ahhh...good ol' alternate tunings. :freak:

Archived