How Do You Deal with Hand Pain?

LoC

• Members

I have been playing bass for 2 years this Thanksgiving. However, after the first few months of playing my hands have progressively hurt more, especially as I increase the level of technical skill and use different techniques. 85% of the time I sit and play, but when I stand I do have quite a low slung bass.

I have tried not playing for two weeks then playing for 15-20 minutes every day or so for two weeks. Then I increased it to 15-20 mins for 2 or more sessions each or every other day. Recently within the past 3 weeks I have been playing for 30-45 minutes once or twice or for an hour each day.

At first my hands wren;t bothered much but now they hurt just as bad as when I played 1-2 hours a day or possibly two sessions a day. It totally sucks. The top of both hands hurt as I can feel the tendons are sore from my hand through my elbows along the bone. How do you all deal with it and/or overcome it? I really really want/need to able to play 2+ hours a day. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Warm up better and stretch more!

Also, you might want to rethink the whole low slung bass while standing thing. It puts your hands and arms in awkward positions, as well as puts stresses that you don;t need to deal with.

IMHO the optimal strap height is when your bass is the same height whether standing or sitting.

• Members

Not to a point where it hurts, but I've felt some when I move the left wrist laterally. I can bend it and go limp all I want, but when I move side to side, sometimes i feel something unusual. Though, it's rare that I have to move the wrist such way durin gplaying.

• Members

I've struggled with pain over the years, here are a few tips:

1. Always play as relaxed as possible.

2. Let your hands/arms/wrists "fall" into position- look at yourself play in the mirror, watch out for unnatural motions/techniques

3. Practice the same way that you play out

4. Don't play through pain

5. On any given day, rest can be as important to your playing as practice- don't overpractice!

Take pain seriously- RSI can severely curtail your future in music.

• Members

I have been playing bass for 2 years this Thanksgiving. However, after the first few months of playing my hands have progressively hurt more, especially as I increase the level of technical skill and use different techniques. 85% of the time I sit and play, but when I stand I do have quite a low slung bass.

I have tried not playing for two weeks then playing for 15-20 minutes every day or so for two weeks. Then I increased it to 15-20 mins for 2 or more sessions each or every other day. Recently within the past 3 weeks I have been playing for 30-45 minutes once or twice or for an hour each day.

At first my hands wren;t bothered much but now they hurt just as bad as when I played 1-2 hours a day or possibly two sessions a day. It totally sucks. The top of both hands hurt as I can feel the tendons are sore from my hand through my elbows along the bone. How do you all deal with it and/or overcome it? I really really want/need to able to play 2+ hours a day. Any help is appreciated.

i used to have that problem i know this sounds weird but my solution was to warm up! you know play slowly thru some scales finger per fret exercises slowly speeding up for bout 5 mins, i could then play for bout an hour easy a nite as i still do.

and if you think it the tendons in your hand a few weeks is not enough of a layoff, but if you anything like me you couldn't leave it any longer without touching your bass, but as i said a good warm up could help you? also making sure that your not in a funny postion when you sit ? arm a bit twisted etc? as that could be a cause as you sit 85% of the time?

• Members

heat pads & icing, and advil, and stretching and proper position, and eschew the Ramones positioning.

FYI symmetrical strength usually has less wear and tear in the long run

ie tennis elbow is from front forearm muscles overdeveloped tearing smaller back forearm muscles, hamstrings pop when fighting bigger quads, and shin splints are when the calf overpowers the soleus,

Yngwie damaged his hand likely due to extreme hammer speed on a scalloped board, the acceleration and fast deceleration (to not sharp the note into the scallop) likely tore up back forearm muscles. Better muscle development on the un-worked extender muscles would help this. Flexing hand under water can begin this process gently.

Yngwie's cured now, rubs stacks of $100's on it...

• Members

How come he still sucks?
:lol:

THANK YOU!!! I despise him. As a former guitar player I think I'm qualified to say that. He's not a nice guy either...

Story: A friend of mine went to see him at a local venue...small. They were first in line. The doors were open to let in fresh air, but the doors technically were not opened yet. Fatty was doing his sound check, so naturally they poked their heads inside. The first thing to come out of his mouth was "Tell that moron lighting ass to get this {censored}ing spotlight out of my eyes" and the second thing was "get those {censored}ing people out of here" referring to my friends (he was yelling all of this into the mic). Asshole...

• Members

shin splints are when the calf overpowers the soleus

Yeah I have had that four or give times now hehehe.

Hmmm, that muscle development may be my problem. I lifted and wrestled a LOT prior to playing bass so I have very developed forearm muscles. I will try to find some exercises though to even out the strength.

Yeah I should do more warming up.

As for the classical or standard position, I do not know the significant differences other than classical one places the instrument nearly vertical.

• Members

push the strap higher, it will be easier to play, more comfortable, and probably your hands will hurt less...

maybe you could also start taking some LEGIT calcium supply pills...

maybe you should check a doctor, that might be a problem with your hands actually... im not kidding... just in case...

• Members

I don't have any hand pain from playing bass. I normally play with mine pretty high, above the belt.

Actually its quite the opposite, bass helped me recover from a broken elbow. The doctors in physio were surprised! I was back to my normal movement in less than a month. :)

It normally takes a few months!

Archived