My first O/T thread ever: Los Angeles fire..

timmerz

• Members

Do they know how these things started?
:confused:
Fox News probably already has it labeled as a terrorist attack.
:rolleyes:

The Malibu fire has been pretty firmly attributed to a powerline downed by the high winds.

I've not seen any speculation for the SD fires. Considering there are wildfires every year, and there has been wildfires pretty much every year all the way back to the end of the Pleistocene epoch, attribution to terrorism or "global warming" is probably premature.

There was evidence of arson in Greece this summer, nothing of the sort has been found for this fire.

• Members

The Malibu fire has been pretty firmly attributed to a powerline downed by the high winds.

I've not seen any speculation for the SD fires. Considering there are wildfires every year, and there has been wildfires pretty much every year all the way back to the end of the Pleistocene epoch, attribution to terrorism or "global warming" is probably premature.

There was evidence of arson in Greece this summer, nothing of the sort has been found for this fire.

It is my understanding that arson is suspected in the Irvine fire.

• Members

If that proves to be true, and they find the perpetrator and said person is convicted in a court of law, the only just punishment would (sadly) be cruel and unusual.

• Members

He blamed global warming, then less than 6 minutes later in the press conference, a reporter asked him to confirm that he blames global warming, and he said that he never said that.
:idea:
Douchebag.

C7

He just didn't want to give Rush Limbaugh something else to sell on ebay. ;)

• Members

As of this afternoon, they're investigating the possibility, since it's a legitimate possibility. However, the nature of the fires wasn't one where the first thought was arson (which was the case in Greece).

• Members

The Orange County (between L.A. and S.D. for those unaware) was caused by arson. At least, there's been no word of speculation as to the cause on two local radio stations I've been listening to. It's just been listed as arson.

SD is the big one. The Arrowhead fires have destroyed a pretty fair number of homes as well despite their small size.

The fires up in the Valencia / Santa Clarita Valley area (ie. the Castaic Lake area if you looked at the pictures) are all pretty decently contained, at least as of this morning's commute listening to the news.

Back to SD, I've got friends down there and they say it's pretty bad, but they're okay for now. The winds have really died off which should help the firefighters quite a bit. Another boost for SD is that with the Santa Clarita fires pretty well contained, they're already moving people from SC to SD to aid the effort there.

• Moderators

Thanks, Tim. She's doing well, emotionally. Everyone is safe, and she's insured.
:thu:

She got the reverse 911 call at 430 am Monday and was already prepared to evacuate. She said a lot of her neighbors weren't prepared, and now we're reading stories about fire crews using thier valuable resources to help people evacuate instead of saving houses.
:mad:

I used to live in her neighborhood. It's stange seeing these pictures. This is in Rancho Bernardo. I never could have imagined this. But of course, all the ingredients were there - it was just a matter of time before this happened. It almost happened 4 years ago.

You know it's bad when they evacuate the Ranch.

• Members

The Orange County (between L.A. and S.D. for those unaware) was caused by arson. At least, there's been no word of speculation as to the cause on two local radio stations I've been listening to. It's just been listed as arson.

The radio stations were wrong, but are not now. The notice of an impending official announcement on the Santiago fire (aka the OC fire) was made just over a half an hour ago (I'm not even sure the actual announcement has yet been made). If anyone said "it's officially arson" before that, they were exaggerating/lying (take your pick).

Archived