Sign in to follow this  
gtrmaestro

Need help on decision Pro Tools MBOX or Roland VS 2480?

I bought a MBOX 2 with the producer pack plug ins and a HP computer with a 750 gig hard drive. The learning curve is steep on this and I have an opportunity to do a swap for a Roland VS 2480 with an external hard drive. Would I be making a mistake to make this trade? I do mostly guitar and vocal songwriter stuff, no full band recording and don't really do a lot of editing or punching in so I don't really use those functions on the Pro Tools. Basically thinking the VS 2480 might be easier to use and set up but I dont know if sound quality will be better or worse. Thoughts? I need to make a desicion quickly!

Depends on your long term goals I guess, the recording industry standard Protools would be more useful to you if you plan on pursuing a professional livelyhood as either an artist, remix/sound/mastering/engineer or producer. The ability to seamlessly transfer recordings between various levels of PT equipment is invaluable when{if} you get into the big leagues. That being said, the converters, tech./ & specs and overall functionality of the VS2480 is probably better, the current latest generation of converters/discreets and processors/power management devices are only inside PT Mbox Pro and the highend PT10 and all it's associated hardware.

Go for hardware superiority or go for superior compatability: you can't really do both without spending alot more money...still, you'd do well to solicit a few more professional opinions:

consensus is not always best, but sometimes it's the next best thing...

Nothing good in life is easy as the old saying goes.

In recording, easy can mean boaring, but thats a decision you'll have to make.

You'll find that stand alones like the rolland rolland arent going to be easire.

It is worth allot more dollar wise. I'd do it just because its worth allot more than the MBox.

Stay with the DAW.

The learning curve on the stand alone units is way steeper, and not really transferable.

Once you learn the basics of how a DAW works, you'll know it, and all will be good.

Start slow - figure out how to record a single track, then how to play it back.

Build from there.

MG

Decided to keep my rig and work with what I have, thanks for the advice guys!

I think you made the right choice.

Sign in to follow this