Low Down Sound (LDS) Custom Cab 1x15 + 1x6.5

Kindness

• Moderators

Yes it exists:

IMG_8748.jpg

As some of you know already, I recently purchased a cabinet from Don Oatman at Low Down Sound. Low Down Sound LDS Custom Cabinets

I wanted a cabinet that would be a good match for my low powered tube heads. I have an amp I built based on the Blackface Fender Dual Showman Reverb (85 watts) and a mid-70's Ampeg V-4B (120 watts).

IMG_7741.jpg

Both of these amps sound fantastic with my Acme Low B2s, but neither provides enough headroom/volume to be suitable in a full band setting. As a result I was looking for a full range sounding cabinet that had solid low end extension (not looking for Acme-type lows) and much better efficiency. I wasn't finding what I was looking for in the product offerings of the commercial manufacturers. I briefly thought of building my own cabinet, but my lack of woodworking skills and tools made this seem like a bad idea. :p I looked into several companies that make custom cabinets to see if I could find anyone I was interested in working with. I had heard lots of good things about Don Oatman of LDS and I started doing my research. I started talking to Don and bouncing some ideas off of him.

My first thought was I wanted to base the design off an Eminence KappaLite 3015LF 3015LF and to match the aesthetics of the Showman I built. This driver would allow me to design an efficient and light cabinet. Doing some initial modeling of the cabinet gave me a good idea of the dimensions I was looking for and then I started looking for other drivers to fill in the midrange and treble. I know from experience that I really don't need a lot of response (or any) above about 6-8 kHz. So, for my needs, I knew a solid midrange driver would suffice. I was looking for something that'd match up well with the 3015LF as far as efficiency and crossover frequency. I originally thought the Eminence Alpha-8MRA and a crossover around 800 Hz.

In my conversations with Don, we steered the design away from the 3015LF to the 3015. 3015 Don believed that this driver would respond better under low power conditions. We also bounced around a bunch of different mid frequency drivers looking for the best fit. In the end, I trusted Don's judgment and we went with the 3015 (not LF) and a B&C 6 PEV 13 midrange. The B&C matches up well with power handling, response, efficiency and is also a neo speaker - the more weight savings the better.

With the size of the cabinet (27" x 24" x 16") these drivers give me a really solid, smooth and efficient response from down low (-3 dB @ 50 Hz; -10 dB @ 30 Hz) well into the treble range (-10 dB @ about 10 kHz). What do those numbers mean? This cabinet kicks ass. Powered by my Showman, it performs perfectly at rehearsal/stage volume with huge warm thick sound. Powered by my Ampeg, it grinds and growls and rocks. I haven't spent a lot of time playing my Thunderfunk through it, I'm not sure I ever will. I have all the volume and tone I need from my other amps. Besides, despite the higher thermal handling, in this configuration, the woofer is displacement limited to about 300 watts.

What other important features? How about impeccable build quality (well braced, really nicely finished, use of "ultra-lightweight" plywood, etc.), 46 lbs and under $500. :thu:

If anyone is interested in LDS, I'd say don't hesitate to contact Don. This cabinet's build quality is awesome, the cabinet sounds amazing, the price is unbeatable.

• Moderators

That sounds like something I'd like a lot...only two of them.
:thu:

At 300 watts, this cabinet can reach 120 dB from 50 Hz up. But yeah, you'd want at least two of them. :cool: It is not a small cabinet, but at 46 lbs, it really is ridiculously easy to move.

The best part about my experience is I got exactly the cabinet I wanted and met the design considerations that are important to me and it didn't take several iterations to get there. Don's experience with many different designs is really a great resource if you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

• Members

gotta small Traynor practice amp......hows the big one sound?

Not to jack the thread, but mine had cheap, replacement guitar speakers in it when I bought it (even they sounded pretty good), but I have yet to hear it with bass speakers. I'd love to score some original Marslands, but I doubt that I'll find enough of them in good shape to redo the cab.

• Members

Hey kindness, the cab llok ace, goes really well with the head, you could put them next to the real Fenders and nobody would well the difference.

Just to sidetrack the topic a bit, those B2's look amazing. I've read that they need a lot of juice to get the best out of em', how does the Tunderfunk do with them? I'm looking for cab upgrades and I can no way try out anything by Acme before buying first, so how do they sound?

• Moderators

Just to sidetrack the topic a bit, those B2's look amazing. I've read that they need a lot of juice to get the best out of em', how does the Tunderfunk do with them? I'm looking for cab upgrades and I can no way try out anything by Acme before buying first, so how do they sound?

Short answer = I love how they sound.

I've found that a single B2 performs best in high volume situations with around 750 watts available to it. I've used between 500 and 1,000 watts to really get loud with a B2. As a result, the 500 watt Thunderfunk is perfect for rehearsal and stage volume to get above a rock drummer and a pair of guitars in a moderately loud setting. If I need to fill a club with bass and I don't have a PA, I connect both B2s to a stereo power amp and feed them each 900 watts. Power hungry /= quiet. They will get loud with enough power.

• Members

I've found that a single B2 performs best in high volume situations with around 750 watts available to it. I've used between 500 and 1,000 watts to really get loud with a B2. As a result, the 500 watt Thunderfunk is perfect for rehearsal and stage volume to get above a rock drummer and a pair of guitars in a moderately loud setting. If I need to fill a club with bass and I don't have a PA, I connect both B2s to a stereo power amp and feed them each 900 watts. Power hungry /= quiet. They will get loud with enough power.

I know that speaker designers often have to balance low frequency extension with efficiency, one being a trade-off for the other. Other Acme reviews I've read have said that the cabs need a lot of power (as you said as well) due to their low efficiency, but that their low frequency extension is second to none. Has this been your experience?

• Moderators

I know that speaker designers often have to balance low frequency extension with efficiency, one being a trade-off for the other. Other Acme reviews I've read have said that the cabs need a lot of power (as you said as well) due to their low efficiency, but that their low frequency extension is second to none. Has this been your experience?

Exactly. The most accurate and informative information regarding these cabinets comes directly from Andy himself on the Acme website. He is 100% a straight shooter, no bs.

Low end extension does not necessarily mean "sounds bassier." Many people equate low mids with bass. Thus, a cabinet like the Genz Benz NeoX-212T might be a more appropriate cabinet for many people looking for that deep bass sound with a much more user friendly efficiency. What the Acme's provide is true deep response and, if you want to use your EQ to dial in those mids, the Acme will respond well.

Archived