Book recommendations

B-Bottom

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Recommending a book without knowing what you're into is pretty rough.

I just finished these recently:

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Born on the Fourth of July by Ron Kovic

Sweet Thursday (and Cannery Row, too) by John Steinbeck

Children of Men by PD James

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Ward No. 6 and Other Short Stories by Anton Chekhov

That's what the cool kids are reading, anyway. :p

• Members

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

It's about the comic industry in the 30's.

+1 :thu: A solid effort- very accessible to all.

Another suggestion: Henry Miller- Tropic of Cancer (life in Paris before the war- being broke, getting laid and having some fantastic insights). Guys like Kerouac and Ginsberg had to be influenced by him. An easy read, too.

Also: A Confederacy of Dunces- ? (can't remember the author, though I do know that he died sui generis before it even got noticed). Very very readable and sharply funny and thoughtful all at once!

• Members

The Dark Tower by Stephen King, there are 7 books in the series. Word of warning, they are VERY addictive. (DRF/Stormtrooper will agree with me there.)

Insomnia by Stephen King is also a brilliant book.

Also, Dean Koontz writes really good stuff although sometimes they're a bit slow moving.

• Members

99% of the books you see on the shop that are marked and have these "sold more then 2340234234234'23432230340320423 copies in the united states!!!"... 99% of those books SUCK ASS... i'll tell you some books after you tell me what subhects are you into... i know alot about it, but i dont wanna bore you with some of the stuff i read, in case you dont like it....

my passion is poetry... do you like it??

• Members

Also: A Confederacy of Dunces- ? (can't remember the author, though I do know that he died sui generis before it even got noticed). Very very readable and sharply funny and thoughtful all at once!

Written by John Kennedy O'toole - This is my favorite book ever.

Archived