Mike Fitzwell to the burgundy wood grained phone

ThudMaker

• Moderators

I got a few shots of the Fender you asked about in the other thread. I finished the mod and took a few pics. I've yet to check how old it is, but my guess is a mid 90's P Bass Special. It is a 2 hole, 4 knob config. I removed the active electronics and in it's place, drilled a third hole in between for a blend switch. I didn't think 3 knobs that close to each other would look very pro, so this is the only P/J I have that is Vol/Blend/Tone. The others I have are all vol/vol/tone. This one sounds really nice and aggressive and no more battery!!

PJSpcBodyShot2.jpg

PJSpecial.jpg

• Members

Perhaps it is. I didn't realize the Urge had active eq stock. I'll look up the serial number tonight and let you know.

There were several different designs of the Urge - most of which were Stu Hamm signature - but not all of them were -- The ones that werent sig models were just called Urge basses and had other options like JJ, PJ, active, etc (the typical annual Fender design crapshoot - more flavors than Baskin-Robbins).....as I remember, the neck profiles on those RAWK!

• Moderators
I really like coloring on that.

Is the pickguard covering up any kind of routing? I am not one to say something like this, but I think it would look better without the pickguard.

No. it's not covering any routing. And it's OK that you don't like the pickguard. Different strokes for different folks. The pickguard is what actually attracted me grab the bass off the wall. But then again I like the triangle pickguards on the MTD Kingstons.:D

• Moderators

Stormtrooper, I love the avatars. It looks like the Empire will be needing a Don't Ask Don't Tell policy very soon. :D

I looked up the serial number on Fender. It was made in either 1995 or 1996. IIRC, the tag at the dealer said 96 P Bass Special. There is a review of a 1996 P Bass Special on BGRA and with the exception of the color, the description of the pick guard, etc. nails this bass. In Vintage guitar it looks like this model was discontinued in 1997.

• Members

It's not an Urge, by any means. Those only came as JJ or JPJ models, IIRC.

I stand corrected (thats been happening a lot lately...... :()

Still, I wouldnt be surprised if those were excess Urge bodies that were used to make it and they just called it something traditional for marketing purposes...that would be typical of Fender..........

Archived