anybody here know anything about purchasing a piano?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

I had a similar problem when i started uni (except i'm not a music major at all - I just wanted a piano with me) and I ended up getting an electronic piano. I got a Kawai and while it's not exactly like a real piano, it's actually pretty good - it has weighted keys and stuff. Of course, I paid close to 3k for it... I probably could have put a little more $$ into a piano and gotten a decent yamaha. (ie. a real piano)

• Members

I come from a family of piano players, and grew up with one, a REAL one, in the house my whole life. Believe me; I MISS having a real piano around dearly. I know my way around it. I was taught by a Julliard grad while in college. I started writing on acoustic piano at age 16 'til I moved out at 21.

All that to say- check out Casio's Privia line. They're a tremendous bang for the buck; dirt cheap, lightweight & full featured, they also happen to both sound and feel great. For around $2K, Yamaha makes a digital piano that's nothing short of stunning. It plays almost as good as their acoustic studio model! :eek: Yeah, for $2K is should, but your still getting all the other conveniences. :thu:

Personally, I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini, buying Ivory software(listen to the demos :eek: ) and a nice weighted controller. :idea:

[ drool.. ]

• Members

I ued to own a piano years ago and they can be a real pain. They're great if you intend to get one and just leave it there forever, but if like most people you move every few years or so it's like having an anchor around your neck. There's always the problem of what to do with the damned piano. It's not like you and a buddy can just toss it in the back of a pickup. You're gonna need to rent piano dollies and probably a truck with a lift gate and after you move it you're gonna have to have it tuned and rental trucks with lift gates come in two general sizes... too big and way too big. Or you can skip all this and hire a piano mover which costs $$$.

Honestly, after having been there, I'd check out all my electronic piano options before I made a commitment to buying a 500lb elephant.

And this is exactly why you can always find cheap acoustic pianos out there used.

• Members

I went to the local shops today there is stuff to be had new and used in the price im looking for. they tend to be made outside the USA but they sound good and the sales person said they would deliver and tune it if u bought new.

Not bad! Make sure they let it sit a week before tuning though.

Archived