anybody here know anything about purchasing a piano?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

i asked a more detailed question over in the keys forum so ill paraphrase over here.

i need a piano for college for less than $3000 i have actually decided against a electronic keyboard because they just dont feel or sound the same.

anyway are there decent new pianos to be had in that price range. i dont want to get a fixer upper off of ebay or craigslist and spend my money on a repairman.
ill pay a person to tune it every semester but no more.

• Members

Talk to the guy who tunes the school's pianos and ask him if he knows of anything for sale. Also, many times schools will liquidate their inventory to bring in new pianos, keep you eyes open for those types of things. Craigslist is way too hit and miss unless you pay someone to check out the piano before you buy it.

• Members
Talk to the guy who tunes the school's pianos and ask him if he knows of anything for sale. Also, many times schools will liquidate their inventory to bring in new pianos, keep you eyes open for those types of things. Craigslist is way too hit and miss unless you pay someone to check out the piano before you buy it.

the pianos in my school havent been tuned or replaced in years. ill ask one of the dean of music's secretaries.:thu:

• Members
whats wrong with an electronic piano? I mean I know they arent the best, but its not like your trying to be the next Mozart.

no not mozart i want to be the next chopin:p

its just a personal preference if i get the sound i want out of the thing im more inclined to play or practice.

also they are prettier:love::o

• Members

i asked a more detailed question over in the keys forum so ill paraphrase over here.

i need a piano for college for less than $3000 i have actually decided against a electronic keyboard because they just dont feel or sound the same.

anyway are there decent new pianos to be had in that price range. i dont want to get a fixer upper off of ebay or craigslist and spend my money on a repairman.

ill pay a person to tune it every semester but no more.

I think you'll be making a mistake by not buying used. You can get a very high quality used American-made piano for $3k.

• Members
Which is why you should buy an electronic.

You don't know pianos.

You aren't a piano mover.

You can't afford a new piano.

If you ever start to gig, you'll want a stage piano.

if i start to gig it will be during my senior year and as a accompanist. which usually means piano supplied by venue. im in the piano is required of all music majors boat and figured i might as well do it to the best of my ability.

ill get a stage piano if when i get a gig situation. right now im having plenty of gigs on bass and trombone.:thu:

• Members

i dont mind used but i dont want to go to a private seller and wind up with a pos. i dont have enough knowledge to go about this completely on my own.

When we bought ours we took the local Steinway tech with us. My wife had alreay played it and liked it, a 1912 Hallet and Davis built in Boston. Even out of tune you could tell it was a fine piano. Of course we had to pay the tech for the inspection but it was well worth it. Look in the paper and on CL. Get the brand, serial and see if it's considered a good piano. After you find one that you like take the tech with you for advice. And don't overlook a piano just because the case is scarred.

• Members

I ued to own a piano years ago and they can be a real pain. They're great if you intend to get one and just leave it there forever, but if like most people you move every few years or so it's like having an anchor around your neck. There's always the problem of what to do with the damned piano. It's not like you and a buddy can just toss it in the back of a pickup. You're gonna need to rent piano dollies and probably a truck with a lift gate and after you move it you're gonna have to have it tuned and rental trucks with lift gates come in two general sizes... too big and way too big. Or you can skip all this and hire a piano mover which costs $$$.

Honestly, after having been there, I'd check out all my electronic piano options before I made a commitment to buying a 500lb elephant.

• Members

Which is why you should buy an electronic.

You don't know pianos.

You aren't a piano mover.

You can't afford a new piano.

If you ever start to gig, you'll want a stage piano.

All excellent points but there's nothing like having a real piano in the house. You bring up another source for him to check out though -- piano movers and storage houses!

• Members

I ued to own a piano years ago and they can be a real pain. They're great if you intend to get one and just leave it there forever, but if like most people you move every few years or so it's like having an anchor around your neck. There's always the problem of what to do with the damned piano. It's not like you and a buddy can just toss it in the back of a pickup. You're gonna need to rent piano dollies and probably a truck with a lift gate and after you move it you're gonna have to have it tuned and rental trucks with lift gates come in two general sizes... too big and way too big. Or you can skip all this and hire a piano mover which costs $$$.

Honestly, after having been there, I'd check out all my electronic piano options before I made a commitment to buying a 500lb elephant.

If you're buying a piano for furniture and you move often then you probably shouldn't buy one. My wife is a very good piano player and anything but a real piano just won't due. Piano players play real pianos. Most piano movers also tune and they don't cost much.

• Members

we have a late 70's steinbech made in korea

its german design..overstrung underdamped iron frame

good solid machine..and its white

we got it from an ex hire in london

an american from the embassy had it for 6 months..knocked a few chips off it which tippex fixed..

we get it tuned every year up to concert pitch

we have had it since 1981

oops

relative to purchasing..check every key and look at the string ends..at teh bottom for corrosion especially on the bass strings..cost more to replace

check the damper and if you can get someone to play it well for you they will tell you about the action..stiff or loose

go for an iron frame and imho overstrung and underdamped is the best upright configuration..as i was told and bought

check all the pedals work..mechanically

and dont forget to get the stool thrown in free..they charge an arm and a leg for a stool..get one with a bit under the seat to store the music

electric is fine but a bit pure and cold..synth not an option

• Members

I inherited my piano. Thing is about 100 years old and belonged to my great grandmother. It took 6 healthy size guys to move it. I still have not found anyone to tune it since we moved it in the house. It needs a few keys repaired. I was about to buy a nice Yamaha Clavinova electric piano thingie when I heard I was getting the free one. It says it was made in Chicago by "Twichell". There is a long wait to get a quality tuner/repairman around here. So there it sits... :sigh:

Good luck finding the right one...

• Members

I have a '27 Howard (made by Baldwin) baby grand. I paid 2K for it about 20 years ago. I went to one of those piano liquidation things (lots of furniture pianos) and started talking to the salesguy - I told him I wanted a nice playing and sounding baby grand and didn't care a whole lot about scratches and he hooked me up with mine - we had to drive somewhere else to check it out.

It turned out to be a nice, bright sounding piano for its age and had reasonable action, so I got it. I bet if you hook up with with a knowledgable dealer, you can get what you want.

• Members

Don't know about you, but lots of the electronic keyboards have valid piano action. I can easily tell them from the organs that I've played for years, but some of them are so close to Carol's beautiful Steinway. (A very exceptional instrument and not a "baby".) I'd try them all before going the route that requires tuning at least twice a year and a handful of Frat brothers to move.

Archived