Having no children is rad.

Psilocybin

• Members

There are plenty of posts made by people who have children. They love their kids to pieces, and they like to talk about them. They are proud of their children, as they should be.

This is the thread for those of us who aren't tied down to raising kids. To a lot of us, children are a plague. We are the people who can and will do it in every room of the house, with our significant other, and never have to worry about our toddler walking into the room and saying "Daddy, are you parking your fire truck in mommy's garage?"

We can go on those awesome vacations/road trips and not have to find a babysitter. We can get hammered at the bar and not have to fix the kids breakfast in the morning. We do not bring loud assed children to movie theaters and not keep them quiet during the show.

We are rad.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm trying to make peace with the child-raising portion of our society. It's hard sometimes, though. Right now, I've got some nastiness in my lungs that came courtesy of our admin who ships her little germ collector off to daycare every day. :mad:

Also, any traction here for my proposal to stop giving breeders tax breaks? After all, they're typically using more government services(schools, roads, etc.) than those of us without kids. Just asking. :D

• Members

Good for you guys. I would have never had kids if my wife didn't want them. Of course this will be my only child.

There is something to be said for being able to do what you want when you want. There is also something to be said for bringing a living thing into the world and watching it develop. It has been a tremendous experience thus far...some bad, some good but I feel I've lived that much more having a kid.

Dan

• Members

Having almost grown kids is rad. Son is 19 and off at college, daughter is 15 and very busy with volleyball, and is only 3 years away from being away at college.......Our time with no kids (at home) is coming fast, and we'll only be 41.
:D

Nice! That's what we're hoping for too, a second childhood for us when the kids are gone. We'll be 43 when that happens.

*calls to schedule vasectomy*

• Members

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I really wanted kids. Sometimes desperately. Like 3. Even strongly considered adopting, and started looking into it. Never happened, other than dating a few moms where I wound up as the pseudo-dad, expected to discipline and provide for them, but hammered if I did it wrong. Now I'm 51 as of tomorrow. I have nothing against them. But it's probably too late for me to be a good dad. And I certainly don't want to deal with them any more. The few women I date generally have kids that are 18 to 25 or more, able to fend for themselves, and I'm glad.

Now, if I met up with a woman where we really liked each other, and she wasn't latently looking for a reason to prove I'm the incarnate of all her ex's evil just so she could walk out on me with a clear conscience, maybe I'd be set.

• Members

Having almost grown kids is rad. Son is 19 and off at college, daughter is 15 and very busy with volleyball, and is only 3 years away from being away at college.......Our time with no kids (at home) is coming fast, and we'll only be 41.
:D

+1 Wife and I will be in our mid-late 40's.

• Moderators

I get to be rad for 8 more months.

OOhh. I didn't know this. Congratulations, Burdi!

What's "rad" to me is knowing I have someone who will come visit me in the nursing home, someone to carry on a legacy to another generation and a descendant to bequeath my money and land to. What else is rad is watching them grow and teaching them the things necessary so that I can be proud of them when they start a family of their own. If all goes right, the stork will be delivering child #2 late this spring, so I'll be 59 when that "kid" leaves home. It's all good to me.

If a couple decides together not to have kids to each their own. Personally, I'm glad I got over the fear of becoming a parent.

Archived