New (first) bass! SX SPJ Ash!

danbronson

• Members

1766609597_1dfc6bf8aa_o.jpg

So, I'm a guitarist who's been wanting to get some bass equipment for a while. I don't know much about bass tone and can't compare to many other basses except the few I've played (which were all cheap anyway). But I'll attempt a brief review...

This thing, for the money, is a solid deal. There is a little bit of fret buzz (muting) on one fret position so far and the fretwork in general could be a bit better. Aside from that, it seems to play just fine and there are no real problems to be found. The tuners seem strong, yet smooth. Same with the volume/tone controls (I hate controls that require absolutely no effort to move, these are smooth). You can't tell it's a three piece body if you're looking at the back or front.

Tonally, I can't really form much of an opinion as I'm a very inexperienced bassist. The pickups offer very different tones, and I like what I hear in all combinations. It seems pretty versatile. It'll growl just a little bit on low notes. If I use a pick, and pick hard, while fretting something higher than about the first octave, it has a cool sounding 'honk' to it. It doesn't seem to sustain all that much, but I wasn't expecting it to.

I'm sure there are far nicer sounding basses out there, but I'm perfectly content with this! I'll be playing this on many a recording.

Now to work on my finger picking technique...

• Members

SX is probably one of the best all around starter choices. You made a good pick there. The P/J pickup combintation should give you quite a bit of tonal variety as well. Take it to a good shop that does repairs and have them do a little work on the frets and you should have a damn nice instrument for several years to come.

:thu:

• Members

Good choice!

I've been getting the itch for a P/J especially when Kindness posted a link to the Lakland audio clips:

http://www.lakland.com/multimedia/ac_glaubpj.htm

That'll wet you appetite a bit. ;) Of course your bass doesn't have the Fralin pups like the Lakland, but you should be able to get close to those tones.

If Rondo gets in any white w/ maple fretboard p/j's (like the Ibanez in my avatar), I'll probably pull the trigger for a project bass.

Archived