Neopak on clearance at MF!

Thunderbroom

• Members

Damn you Jeff!
:mad:

I know this was discussed along time ago on here, but those power ratings are backwards, right?

Yeah.

I'm likely using it tomorrow at our gig. It's great making one trip in with my stuff (though I'm bring the PA tomorrow so multiple trips will be in order).

• Members

Not really..and 350 watts is plenty of power for most people. I gigged with a GK 800RB for a couple years and never had volume isues. Plus from what I hear, GB's are rated very well.

Dan

Yeah but I got my 500W Superfly for $210.

so YMMV......

• Members

Yeah but I got my 500W Superfly for $210.

so YMMV......

Seriously how many 350 watt amps worth their salt go for under 5 bills? Your superfly was on ebay right? People are blowing out the superfly all over the place too so it's not really a fair comparison.

Having played with bunch of different heads, I've learned not to look at Watts..those numbers mean absolutely nothing. I've seen 300 watt GK's sound louder than an 800 watt Eden.

Dan

• Members

:mad:

Wish you guys had a proper power supply standard
:D

Yeah, the UK is much better, given the frequency (50hz) is closer to that of the human body, and any electrocution is therefore more likely to disrupt cardiac function...Makes it easier for folks to "arrange accidents" for their spouses :D

It's also 20% less efficient in generation than 60hz, it's up to 15% less efficient in transmission and requires larger windings and coils in transformers.

Of course, the US is significantly less efficient in staying with the 120V voltage standard.

The only truly efficient countries are South Korea, Philippines, Peru, and a couple of Caribbean and South American countries, who use both a 220-240V voltage and a 60hz frequency.

• Members

That looks like a pretty sweet deal. But I just haven't been able to get into the Genz Benz tone. It's too hifi for my taste. MarkBass is marginally better... but still not up (or down) to my standards.

On the other hand, if I was making some good cash gigging... I would definitely scoop it up for a backup. That would be a sweet backup amp.

• Members

Yeah, the UK is much better, given the frequency (50hz) is closer to that of the human body, and any electrocution is therefore more likely to disrupt cardiac function...Makes it easier for folks to "arrange accidents" for their spouses
:D

It's also 20% less efficient in generation than 60hz, it's up to 15% less efficient in transmission and requires larger windings and coils in transformers.

Of course, the US is significantly less efficient in staying with the 120V voltage standard.

The only truly efficient countries are South Korea, Philippines, Peru, and a couple of Caribbean and South American countries, who use both a 220-240V voltage and a 60hz frequency.

Well thats me told :confused:

To tired to even bother trying to argue :p

• Members

But even @ 4ohms, it's still only 350.

That's a lot of money for 350W.

The specs never tell the whole story. Behringer will sell you a 450 watt amp for two hundred bucks, if you're just looking at dollars per (claimed) watt. A lot of manufacturers really stretch their numbers to make their products more appealing to the uneducated buyer, so always be wary of what's printed on paper.

Here's an example - an ancient Peavey Basic 40 combo blew away my POS Behringer BX1200. How could that possibly be, since the Behringer claims to be three times the wattage of the Peavey (120 versus 40)? There's a lot more to do with volume and "balls" than just a wattage figure. What about speaker efficiency? What about gain staging? What about the fact that the manufacturers used different systems to rate the power of their products?

I've never played through a Neopak, but I used to own a GBE600 and I currently own a NEOX400-112T and a Shenandoah JR. I would put either Genz up against something that claimed to be twice the wattage.

• Members

Are you playing stadiums?

No but playing with some of the guys I've played with, 300W don't cut it.

I was having a hard time being heard with 600. Managed to get that up to 800 and started hearing myself over everything else. Then the band broke up.

Now I'm going back down to 500W and hoping I'll be heard with the next band. Of course, this rig should be hella more efficient than the last one.

• Members

No but playing with some of the guys I've played with, 300W don't cut it.

Then the guys you've been playing with are playing too loudly.

Remember, I'm the guy that owned a rig with a 2000w power amp at one point. Of course that was way before I actually started gigging.

:)

Archived